Article on Intermittent Fasting

I just came across this on Medium. I’ve seen a few threads mention IF here on TR so I thought I’d share. The thing I like about the research referenced in this article is that it focuses on older recreational athletes (I’m in that group) as opposed to elite or pro athletes.

I’ve been casually trying the IF model they discuss (16:8). This is some good supporting info, at least for me.

Neat article, but I’m hung up on the time trial pace. They went from 20 km/h to 22 km/h. How could someone training 6 hours a week be that slow?

6 Likes

/sigh

They were clearly not using trainerroad :wink:

1 Like

Rumor has it they were using the best timetrial rigs known to man

2 Likes

Time trial as it stands the trial of time?

The key in that article is this:

They also lost weight and body fat (but not muscle), and lowered their blood pressure

Time restricted eating is not magical. It is though an honest tactic for losing weight because logically it’s harder to eat as many calories as you normally do in an 8 hour window unless you really try hard. Assuming one sleeps 8 hours, with a 16 hour fast one eliminates 8 hours of the day where they can graze and have a bite every time they pass through the kitchen.

Personally, I’ve been counting calories lately and have naturally found it easier to not eat first thing in the morning. I’m just not hungry. I can drink coffee until 10 or 11 and then have my first meal. A snack or light lunch will tied me over until dinner. This works out to an 8 to 10 hour eating window. I’m not trying to be strict about the window because I’m just counting calories and doing what works.

I can see though that if I really wanted to run a larger calorie deficit, I’d not start eating until 11 or 12pm and then only have two meals per day plus snacks. I’m not doing that because I don’t think that is the healthiest way to go as I’m still trying to reach protein targets with 3-4 20g+ doses of protein per day.

3 Likes