Are you doing Low, Mid or High Volume? [POLL]

I’ll set up another poll tomorrow asking just that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LV plus Zwift racing Tuesday while ZRL is going, and an endurance ride Sunday (2+hr). Might start doing in-person Tuesday night crits so that might continue after ZRL, but probably will switch out endurance ride for club ride one or twice a month for more road fun. Also adding some light runs to start prepping for HIM in late September.

1 Like

Here’s my volume, so far for 2023. Got another 1.5 hours planned tomorrow to finish up January. Medium volume.

1 Like

Be interesting to see , and not just the averages but the minimum and maximum hours a week a rider might be doing. My volume last week was 12 hours 5 mins but this week the plan is about 8 hours 35. The volume varying depending on how much intensity I have in a week, but still ensuring progressive load increases.

I pretty much put this in my response to the “What have you learned” thread. For me, it was learning the difference between volume and intensity.

2 Likes

High volume, but slightly modified. usually add a 30-45 min recovery spin on rollers on Monday, and substitute 2.5-3.5 tempo-ish road ride on sunday. that gives me tue/thu/sat 1.5-2 hour threshold/vo2/anaerobic TR workouts, wed/fri endurance

Doing mid volume but I lengthen the weekend rides and add weight training two times per week, so I am around 10-12 hours per week. Always take Monday and Friday off though.

1 Like

I’m in my fourth month of TR doing SSLV1 for another week before starting SSLV2. Usually three one hour lunchtime sessions as a break from the daily Zoom work meeting craziness.

I’m not a gamer and enjoy matching the TR power number on the screen as close as possible. I did try Rouvy briefly but found it too uncontrolled with wild pace swings plus other issues. My resting heartbeat is now in the lower 50’s and I’m enjoying the sessions.

1 Like

I don’t use TR, just like browsing the forum.

For January my average is a little over 14 hours per week. Mostly Z2 riding with 2 interval days a week. 95% of this is indoors on the trainer, because where I live it snows a lot. Looking forward to getting my riding back outside when Spring comes and will start to average 15+. Unfortunately 2.5 hours is about my max on the trainer. I used to be ok with 3+ hour rides but that was maybe once a week, not when I was on the trainer almost every day.

I actually don’t know the hours per tier of TR’s Low, Mid, High.

2 Likes

This.

M: TR
T: Kettlebells/strength
W: TR + Trampolining
T: Gymnastics
F: TR
S: “rest” - with kids so its not rest and sometimes we go to the pump track
S: MTB 2-4 hours

I wish I could fit more in!

2 Likes

Had a good couple of covid years doing Mid Volume, swapping the weekend “moderate” for outside unstructured club or gravel spin*, or zwift. Then during the race season it was a Sunday race.

Back in the office a couple of days a week, so doing Low Volume plus commutes and the same unstructured club or gravel spin, and I’ve been squeezing in a run/ easy TR/ extra spin some weekends (depends on family). Race season will be from April, so then it’ll be an opener and race on the Sunday

Usual Winter Schedule is M - off; Tu - TR; W - Commute; Th - TR; Fr - TR; Sa - Club Spin; Su - Run. In the summer I’ll go M - off; Tu - TR; W - Commute; Th - TR; Fr - TR; Sa - Easy Spin with a couple of efforts; Su - Race

Seems like a lot written down, but I got through last season progressing, winning a couple of races and not getting sick. I was ready for the off season though (probably the first time in my limited experience).

*The unstructured spins are pretty much the definition of the “spiky” outdoor rides mentioned in the podcasts (the nature of the terrain I live), so I don’t match them. They are what they are for me, and probably a nightmare for PL’s 2.0!

High Volume plus 2.5 hrs worth of bike commute, 2 full body resistance workouts, and two 30 minutes runs, tho on workdays I don’t do more than 1:15 on the trainer due to time constraints.

50 yo mtb marathon racer, fwiw

It’s indoor trainer season and I’ve increased volume to 7 hours (longest session will be 2.5 hours). Also do 2 hours of strength training. Two full days off each week.

2 Likes

Got todays session in, it’s bumped up the averages, and here’s my volume numbers for Jan 23. A solid start to my 2023 season.

1 Like

Low volume (Trad base now 8 week POL) plus 5 days a week of running

1 Like

Similar. Low volume with 3x strength training and an outdoor group ride weekly.

Currently on HV cyclocross plan transitioning to HV build base in 2 weeks as my cyclocross season is coming to a close only 2 races :joy:

I’m having fantastic results on HV have been off the bike for 2.5 years focusing on climbing and after 35 days training on the bike I got 4th place in my cyclocross race (it was a B race not quite as strong a field but still was not expecting that)

Transition to focus on some gravel and road racing. Might enter a couple xc MTB races too to mix it up.

Coming from previously a private coach 1-1 I’m finding TR great.

1 Like

Previously been on LV last year, but with more time freed up and some upcoming new exciting events/races I switched to HV.

Hoping I can turn it around this year with HV so we’ll see how it pans around as the season starts up!

1 Like

Always been on the high volume plan with the following modifications.

1. Only ride the wed endurance if time allows and feeling good.
  2. Always drop the friday endurance in favour of day off
  3. Weekend long type rides both sat and sun. If weather bad then I will do the prescribed intensity rides

The low volume plan has too much intensity for my liking so prefer the 90 min sweetspot rides in the HV base plans, particularly now that phase 2 are 90 min workouts rather than 120 min pre AT.

90 min workouts tue and thur fit my schedule perfect and I accept all adaptions recommended for missing the endurance and weekend intensity rides. Some weeks I will have 4 high intensity rides if weather or life commitments get in the way.

2 Likes

High Volume, because I get good, consistant results.

Once the spring will be here, probably switch to mid volume and add outdoor rides.

1 Like