Anyone using a Weight Gainer supplement?

Hi all,

As my training background has strengthened, and my ability to add volume has increased, avoiding calorie and macronutrient deficits gets harder and harder for those of us without a personal chef and nutritionist :slight_smile: Iā€™m also not climbing the mortirolo everyday, just trying to increase my work capacity and FTP for stuff like XCO MTB, crits, short road races, and long gravel events.

I recognize it is probably named poorly for a cycling audience, but anyone try using something like this?

I certainly recognize that just increasing dietary intake of food in general would also work, but adding 7k-10k per week and doing it with a high degree of consistency and quality gets pretty iffy sometimes. It looks like a good option for doing 2000kJ rides several times per week. Large amounts of protein and carbohydrate.

I havenā€™t tried it yet, just wondering

Thanks!

1 Like

Are you intending to consume it during training?

Or outside of training times as a supplement to your typical daily food consumption to increase overall kcal consumption?

1 Like

Definitely always outside of training, Iā€™m thinking something like a mid-morning snack before late afternoon workout. Using gels, electrolyte mixes to get about 80-100g/hr during sessions.

1 Like

Once a day wonā€™t hurt anything if youā€™re just using it to meet daily kcal, carb, and protein needs. Probably should make sure the rest of your diet has decent variety becauseā€¦ health and stuff.

3 Likes

You mention worrying about the quality of calories if you were do increase your daily intake through food alone, just know that mass gainers are usually not high quality calories either.

Interesting point. My wife is a gastroenterologist, she just killed the idea after educating me on D.I.L.I (drug-induced liver injury). Evidently they see people with liver injury, even failure, after taking these types of supplements pretty frequently. Yeah Iā€™m good without that :joy:

She suggested Boost:

1 Like

@HMG What in this would cause DILI?

I would suggest making high calorie shakes. My go to when I was gaining weight and putting on muscle was:

2 cups whole milk
2-4 tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop whey protein
1 banana

That ends up being somewhere around 700-1000 calories, depending on the amount of peanut butter.

Iā€™ve also been alternating Huel and Soylent for my ā€œsecond breakfastā€ about an hour after I get to work. This provides either 400 or 600 calories, depending on which one I go with.

4 Likes

She calls GNC ā€œThe DILI Storeā€ haha. Itā€™s the manufacturing techniques - they frequently include contaminants that arenā€™t listed on the label, very small amounts of which can cause problems.

Anywho that recipe sounds awesome, Iā€™m going to try it - maybe add yogurt instead of the whey protein tho to preserve my marriage :joy:

I second the shake.

Iā€™ve never heard of liver injury from generic ā€˜fitnessā€™ stores (Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d go out of business pretty quick from all the lawsuits), just meant that they use lots of simple sugars and the cheapest protein they can find, mix it together and call it a day. Definitely something you could do yourself and choose whatever youā€™d like instead of straight maltodextrin, all while being limited to the same flavour until you run out.

I think (emphasis on think) there were some issues years ago where they saw some problems with their aggressive weight loss supplements (ephedra related, maybe? Too lazy to look it up). I donā€™t believe there were any issues related to standard protein, creatine, weight gainer/recovery type stuff.

She specializes in liver and gut disease, they see 2-4 cases locally per month

Iā€™ve used SIS REGO SiS Rapid Recovery Powder - 1.6kg | Protein Powder | Science In Sport with 500ml whole milk to help with managing calorie intake - one serving ~500 cals.

FYI - I also have 3 meals a day plus a snack delivered (~2800 cals).

A ā€œweight gainerā€ thread on a cycling board. Now Iā€™ve officially seen it all :metal:

Iā€™ve seen so many things in the last year I never thought possible, and now this ā€¦ :wink:

true, there were a lot of people becoming severly dehydrated and suffering organ trouble due to stimulants and other ingredients.

ive always thought organ problems and protein only really affect you if you already have an underlying issue?

supplements are not regulated by the FDA (or regulated period). Soā€¦you donā€™t really know what youā€™re getting (hence the liver injury, I would guess). Stick to food.

1 Like

That stuff tastes good, but man the gas! I could self propel to the moon!

1 Like

I had it prescribed to me (Weight Gainer) after a bout of illness in my early 20s I wouldnā€™t choose to take anything though.

Not the case as I understand it. Contaminants, which are inherent in these products and not specifically listed on the label, lead to liver problems independent of other health risks.

I donā€™t know whether true or not but it does seem odd to me that If there is such a large volume of liver injury caused by a brands supplements then thereā€™d be class action suits left and right and thereā€™d be some literature out there discussing the issue. While supplements are definitely non regulated and are often contaminated with off label ā€œstuffā€, it still seems like that would get out in some form if regular medical issues are occurring.

That said, I may be searching for the wrong thing online and am missing it.

1 Like