Anyone use Sun Sleeves?

i have the same rapha data prints, stitching coming loose :slight_smile: but still work fine

humidity also plays a part. its humid where i live, so keeps them a little damp and therefore cooler

2 Likes

What solutions do you all have for ears? Just sunscreen? Any kind of cap that covers them is unbelievably hot in my experience.

I ride with long sleeve jerseys / tech fabic shirts in Phoenix, AZ. I also use pearl izumi sun legs. Year round. Not to mention head covering balaclava so my ears don’t get jacked. It takes some getting used to, but it doesn’t bother me anymore.

Why so cautious? I was diagnosed with melanoma at the age of 40. Look it up, it’s no joke. In fact, that’s what took my father’s life at the young age of 69.

Take care of your skin! Also get your annual skin exam. Don’t put it off. It saved my life. Early detection as with all cancers is super important.

2 Likes

Been using these after I began seeing a tan between the end of the sleeve to my gloves.

This style solves the issue for me.

I suggest the 5 pair pack as they tend to unravel after a washing trip.

Top stitching… still functions perfectly!

Still looking for leg covers … length versus thigh wide… we cyclists tend to narrower around thigh!

UV problems solved by fabrics! :+1:t2:

1 Like

I was telling a friend about sun sleeves, and she asked me whether they tend to turn grey. How do you keep them white?

Yeah, mine were more stitching than sleeve :slight_smile:
I think they’re still around here somewhere but last year was mostly in the Assos.

If someone buys lots of these and does comparisons, I’d love to hear which ones ended up being the best for cooling. As I mentioned above, I tried a pair that were way too hot for my local conditions.

1 Like

For ears I just use sunscreen and make sure to reapply every hour or so.

My neck I use sunscreen and a neck gaiter like the one below

I leave it down around my neck. My neck does get a little warmer but on a hot day you are already hot and it breathes well so it’s not really that bad.

As a melanoma survivor I want to get on my soapbox and remind all of us to please use and reapply the sunscreen. I never used to sunburn but cancer don’t care about that. The surgery and immunotherapy for a year after my diagnosis was no fun. Now on follow up scans to make sure it hasn’t returned. Almost 2 years clear, which is the danger zone for a recurrence.

3 Likes

Thank you for reminding everyone to make friends with their dermatologist. The skin check is really easy and over quick.

1 Like

100%. I use these for nearly all of my rides. I even used a pair of these during a full IronMan… including in the swim!
They are game-changing. They keep you cool, they keep the sun off, you can wet them to keep even cooler, you can wife your face with them a bit, they are aero, they are comfy, they make you easier to identify in a race (useful if you are racing in a team)… the list goes on.
I’ve reduced my incidences of sunburn to nearly zero with these.

3 Likes

Yes and there is a big difference in quality from brand to brand. I highly recommend Velocio’s arm screens. Link is here

Reluctantly started wearing sun sleeves a couple of years ago when I moved to South Florida. I wish these existed 20 years ago. You really don’t notice you’re wearing them. Super breathable and in no way feel hot. Have also tried Specialized and Castelli which are both crap.

1 Like

Just tried these sun sleeves out on this past weekends rides (4hrs. Saturday & 7hrs. 33mins. Sunday). I left them on for the entire ride and they felt great. This is the first pair I’ve tried so I can’t really compare to other brands yet. They do breathe pretty well and my arms felt cooler than just being exposed to the sun. Couldn’t beat the price either! :+1:

1 Like

Funny just ordered these today. I have been impressed with everything I have ever ordered from Velocio, so I thought I would give them a shot.

I’ve been wearing sun sleeves for the past 7 or so years, and it’s made a tremendous difference in my skin not getting burned. If I know I’m going to be out for more than 3 hours, I wear them because I assume my sunscreen will sweat off by that time.
Mine are a pair made by Columbia Men's Gloves | Columbia Sportswear .
The best thing to do when it’s stupid hot (>95F or 35C) is soak them with cold water while they’re on your arms. The cooling effect is great and it doesn’t seem to affect their sun blocking ability.

A few years back I was at a group ride and saw a 40-something triathlete. She was wearing a tank top and I could see the contrast of her skin on her arms (aged, heavily freckled, very tanned) and the skin that has been covered by sleeves/tanks (still pale, softer, youthful). That one mental image is enough to make me always cover up or wear sunscreen.

1 Like

No, my arm hair functions pretty well as sun-sleeves :man_shrugging:, and where it fails, I apply some spf 50. I figure my DNA has provided me with most of the sun protection I need, if exposure is gradually increased. But those first 75 degree sunny days in [politically charged global warming month with-held] I definitely make sure to use something in a tube. I’m one of the guys who tries to avoid the hard Velominati style crisp lines, but I don’t worry too much about slowly gaining color. I have been known to carry a tube with me to top up if the ride is planned over 2 or 3 hours.

What I worry about is when I buy a new top, to make sure that it provides traditional jersey sun protection, particularly if wearing it for the first time on a sunny day, the “through the jersey” tan lines I try to prevent by using very low SPF spray-on a few times early in a jersey’s career with me.

I am a brand rep for Pactimo. They are great sleeves I never ride without them. Big sale going on right now to, if you don’t pick them up during the sale let me know and I’ll Shoot you a discount code.

1 Like

Can you find a size guide for these? I looked but don’t see it.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to try bib shorts, but you don’t ship to Canada. In this day and age this shouldn’t be an issue. My 2 cents.

Hm, let me check