Any Chefs know how to keep the Cocanut oil in rice cakes to stay solid at warmer temps?

I made the rice cakes from GCNs video for vegan rice cakes also found in the new cook book
They are AMAZING!
After 5 hours in the back pocket, the coconut oil is obviously no longer a stable solid and it was basically dripping off the wrapper. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is something I could add to it to enable it to stay more solidified.

1 Like

Hydrogen?

1 Like

The more saturated the fat, and I think the longer the fatty acid chains, the higher the melting temperature. Stearic acid has a pretty impressive melting point. I know cocoa butter is largely stearic acid and would probably work well in your application, but wikipedia says shea butter is another veg source of the fat. Of course swapping the coconut oil out for cocoa butter may change the taste/palatability the final product. You may be able to blend the 2 oils a little to find some of the flavor while keeping the melting point high enough for your purposes.

I had the same experience using the same recipe. Loved the GCN book!

I think it was maybe 80’s when I first tried out rice cakes and, yeah, the oil did not do well. I figure when it starts hitting 90’s as it routinely does around here then I might as well bring a straw.

My conclusion is that I’m not going to use homemade rice cakes on my rides. I’ll stick to the other store bought products I already use that are in much better wrappers than I can come up with and that generally don’t melt.

I’ve taken peanut butter sandwiches on long gravel adventure rides. They do get melty but I controlled that by using a ziplock sandwich bag. Just eat it out of the bag and leave any mess left in the bag and zip it up.

Very possibly, a soigneur in a car with a chiller box?

I’ve had good results with Allen Lim’s rice cake recipes on long, hot and humid mountain bike rides. No oil in those so they hold up with less mess. He’s got a method for wrapping them to facilitate one handed eating too (I just use wax paper, not the fancy foil):

the fancy foil is the best part! i actually bought their wrappers.

The reason I love rice cakes is how easy they are to injest, and barely any chewing required so I’m not after a different food. I’m going to give the rice flour a shot. Might help to keep the oil sticking to the cake

1 Like

Not a chef, but sometimes when I make a batch of rice cakes I’ll wrap some or all of them in flour tortillas. Changes the taste slightly (I prefer them without the tortilla) but I do find it helps making eating them on the go a lot easier. I sometimes freeze them and they can thaw on those hot summer rides.