Another Vote for Overall Health and Weight Lifting

I’m not saying anything that hasn’t been echoed in the TR world about 1,000,000 times. However, I came face to face (almost quite literally) with the reality that sometimes it’s better to be a “stouter” and stronger cyclist than it is to lose a few pounds for power-to-weight. While I’m taking a short break from lifting before getting back into maintenance, I’ve always been a larger cyclist that carries a lot of upper body mass, and can move some weight. I also really committed myself to lifting over the past few years, and I’m pretty sure I can move more weight now at 37 than I could when I was a traditional ball sports athlete in high school. Took a pretty damn hard tumble this weekend in a sharp, downhill curve at high speed. Wet road, gravel/sand, and a lack of familiarity with the route left me with a split second choice–guardrail or ditch. Bailed, grabbed too much brake, chose the ditch, and I think high-sided it and flipped into a ditch onto my shoulder/neck and back. While the soreness is setting in a bit over the past few days, I was able to walk away and finish what felt like the next 15-20 miles or so of the ride.

I obviously didn’t witness the wreck from a third-party perspective, but I’m willing to bet one of the reasons I’m just sore is that I have a bit more bone density than, say, Chris Froome, or a similar build. Food for thought, but I’d say lifting, bone density, and “sturdiness” is worth the extra pounds. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Glad you’re ok and we’re able to walk away from what sounds like a pretty nasty spill. :muscle:

1 Like

Giving an anecdotal +1 to this

I’ve been purposely shedding a little upper body weight, to get that w/kg up. Before taking up cycling, I was a 215lb football/hockey player. It’s been a journey, and I’m down around 175lbs now with a 6’2" frame. It’s the leanest I’ve ever been, and also the fastest on the bike.

HOWEVER, I took a hard fall while snowboarding in late January - separated my AC joint, broke a few ribs, and now we’re looking at the whole shoulder joint to see how badly torn the other ligaments and cartilage are. I can’t help feeling like a fall/impact like this when I was considerably more stocky would have left me walking away, laughing over beers.

I can’t wait to rebuild some of my lost upper body mass, in favor or not being so fragile in the future.

1 Like

Of all the bad or challenging things that can befall a human and suddenly and without warning require you to rely on your body, very very few of them will be well answered by having focused only on cycling specific conditioning and performance.

1 Like