+1 for shifting the endurance slider (and hat-tip to @pbase for suggesting it during the beta!). I’m finding the hard days challenging but ultimately achievable, safe in the knowledge that I’ll have a genuinely easy day to follow, and thus better recovered by the time the next tough one comes around. That’s great for consistency and motivation.
Customising individual zones and the power records comparison are two brilliant new features - great work by the team.
Hi I not happy it fact it’s depressing me admittedly I’m on a masters plan three workouts a week. I have not been doing the Saturday workout but I have been out on my bike so possibly as there’s only two recorded workouts with a parameter it can’t work out my power, but in the past it’s been fine. I don’t like AI and I’m beginning to wonder if it’s actually got what I need anymore.
Nah, I’m with you. It’s been solid so far. I took a big initial hit on FTP, but I was just starting my training season so didn’t put much thought into it.
So far the workouts have been great. Just the right amount of difficulty. Add to that it’s been increasing the length of my workouts which it never did in the past.
All in all, I feel like I’m getting better workouts and a nice build trajectory. In the past, I found the 3 hard workouts per week was burning me out too early in the season. The current offering has felt much more sustainable, with me rating most workouts as ‘hard’.
I do have some confusion about the FTP nomenclature but in the end I’m choosing to ignore that in favor of the overall better training structure.
Just a note that might help. Speaking in general, our society has forgotten how to disagree. If someone does not like it (or disagree with you) then the other thing is evil/bad and treated that way. It’s all or nothing. If you like it (or agree) then it can do no wrong. There seems to be no middle ground where we can agree to disagree or even work together to make things better. After all, this is a cycling platform. TR is working hard at improvement. I do think that there needs to be something definitive on the blog about AIFTP. However, giving the system time along with answering the surveys as honest as I can, the AIFTP is pretty close now to what I consider my actual FTP. Others might have a different experience.
It was disconcerting to read Nate’s appearance on the last YT. He looked so stressed. Give the system some time before just throwing it overboard.
Hi I not happy it fact it’s depressing me admittedly I’m on a masters plan three workouts a week. I have not been doing the Saturday workout but I have been out on my bike so possibly as there’s only two recorded workouts with a parameter it can’t work out my power, but in the past it’s been fine. I don’t like AI and I’m beginning to wonder if it’s actually got what I need anymore.
Works for me I never had any doubt TR has always delivered me with good training that’s one of the reasons I have stayed with them trust in the process & results will come. Some of the moans we are seeing are just people doing what humans do when there is change
So far I’m another happy TR AI user. I am trusting the process and it appears to be working well for me up to now.
The hard workouts have been spot on and are a perfect reminder of what “hard” feels like for me. I’ve had 2 AI FTP bumps which has led to me questioning some of the workouts but I’m loving the power-duration graph as I can see “oh I’ve done this before”.
New system appears to take into account my endurance rides despite not associating with a TR workout. Fatigue management and dynamic endurance has been shorting my regular 2hr Sunday rides, so I’ve been quietly ignoring that fact thus far - at the moment no impact if I prep properly for the hard stuff. Maybe at some point I’ll listen when other activities heat up as the weather gets better
In truth I was a bit disillusioned with the old system and was really considering cancelling my yearly TR sub when it was due in December. At this time now and with the new system - not a chance.
My training has been more off than on over the last few months. Then I see this new update - my FTP (as expected) dropped quite a bit due to in activity. Suddenly TR AI was prescribing threshold and sweet spot I never would have even attempted due to being scared of the % of FTP that the workouts entailed. But as Nate and Jon said on the Podcasts - AI does not know your FTP - its just looking at what you have done….. Suddenly I am doing these workouts as AI has it spot on - and my next increase in FTP is 18%. Obviously thats due to my inactivity - but i never ever in a million years would have attempted those workouts and likely would have incremently over a much longer period of time increased to the now recommneded FTP. Suddenly - I am going into a new bout of training at a higher FTP and now just letting AI pick/amend my workouts based on what I want that week.
It takes all of the jeapordy and thinking out of it.
This is by far the best update TR has ever done. Chapeau everyone!
I think you have a point about the disagreement. A significant number of people seem to want a binary good/bad assessement of <insert topic here> and that’s that. No nuance, no shades of gray, just “it’s great!!!” or “it sucks!!!”.
There are very few things in life that are that clear, and a cycling training program isn’t one of them. But TR seems to be working towards improving our training, and I suspect it works for most of the users. There will always be outliers that find that it’s not working for them, and that doesn’t mean the user is wrong. But it doesn’t mean that TR is wrong, either. Sometimes an approach just isn’t working for you and that’s just life. Not good, not bad, just a fact. Change your settings, change your plan, or go use something else. In the end we’re all trying to get better or at least keep what we have in terms of cycling fitness.
Also, the impatience is kinda astounding. We haven’t even gotten a full quarter of the AI product being in production, and maybe a quarter if you include the beta testers, and I find all these folks declaring it to be a catastrophic failure of some sort. Frankly, most of the complainers don’t have enough data to declare failure or success. I’m pretty happy with how it’s going for me, but it could all go wrong in the future. I don’t expect that, but I’ll acknowledge that I only have a 2-3 months of experience and that’s not enough to definitively make the call. A little patience, a little humility and a little intellectual integrity would go a long way towards calming the waters. “I’m leaning one way, but I’m not sure yet” is a valid response that seems increasingly rare in a world where unwarranted certainty is seen as a positive trait and being loud is seen as more important than being provably correct.
I feel like I’m improving, and so far I believe my numbers support that. The real proof is out on the ride, which won’t be for a while because I’m in northern Michigan.
In the past I’d always quit my TR plans because I’d be failing workouts for various reasons and just give up on the whole thing. I find now I’m sticking to the plan because while the workouts feel challenging, I’m actually getting through them all. We’ll see what it translates to when I finally get outside, but I feel like I’m progressing more this winter than in any winter past.
IMO the people complaining the most/loudest are just WAY too hung up on what the FTP number says. The actual plan and workouts the AI system is putting you through is SO much better than before from my experience to this point
Thanks for this. I didn’t realise you could do that. I’ve always felt that for me the easy rides weren’t easy enough and gave me fatigue for the harder rides.
I’m shocked by the number of posters who are concerned about workouts weeks in the future. I understand that knowing the basic workout format informs nutrition in the days leading up, but getting bogged down with details so far out just screams missing forest for the trees
My experience has been great. Hard days hard, fitting in two days of lifting per week, still recovering and a nice 13 watt bump in FTP. Felt that I could have done another week before a recovery week.
Looking forward to seeing how build goes; check volume suggested going to 75 mins on Tuesdays and Thursdays instead of 90. I can always add 15 mins at 60% if I want
This first came up with adaptive training a year or two ago, a lot of people reacted badly but over time I realised it was a big mind shift from training the event to training the athlete. The new AI just doubles down on that, so if you stayed in the world of static planning you are twice as bewildered now.