I’m loving the update! Right volume, right workouts, so great.
So refreshing to see this page.
Been working well for me. Very motivating like some have said. I do find the endurance days are too hard between the intensity days. I hadn’t thought to do the zone slider thing but that sounds like the ticket (thanks @Pbase)
I had already taken my nutrition and sleep more seriouslly this year, but the new workout generator the AI is using has made that even more important. I’ve been able to complete everything but it takes getting all the little stuff right.
I do wonder if I’ll burn out in the long run having to be ‘perfect’ just to stay on this plan. But my power numbers have never been this good so early in the season. I’m currently in April/May form in February, so I’m excited to see what this season can bring.
Very happy with the update. Seeing the FTP increase in 4 weeks serves as a real motivator!
It is awesome! Every workout is spot on. I haven’t missed a scheduled workout and my power numbers keep going up. All I do is get on my bike and follow the plan for 5ish hours a week. It’s the best money I’ve ever spent.
Fairly pleased with the update. I got a big jump when I entered the beta in January. I just rated the rides as they came. My AiFTP is now back down much closer to what I think it should be. Good sailing.
Perfect workout today!
i love it. i think the predictive Ai and wanting to maintain an increase has given me extra motivation to push myself to not fail workouts and get the most of myself. i’ll do whatever i can to prevent that number going down. its like the carrot hanging there urging me on. workouts have been great for me so far. i dont ever deviate from my plan though where it seems so many others do. if you dont stick to the prescribed plan or look after yourself off the bike then how can it be the plans fault for failure?
I am happy with the new system
Happy with the Ai training. Predicted AiFTP is a very useful tool. Not to chase the number at the end of 28 days, but rather to quickly check if I need to move training around due to life, what is the best day to put it on, or which session can I drop with the minimal impact on my training. That’s where I’m seeing the power of that feature.
Training has gone well. Power progresses upwards. Workouts are hard but manageable. I’m on a crit plan and so I had loads of vo2 and anaerobic in build and now especially in speciality. I have to be mindful of recovery and fuelling properly to have effective workouts. Like others have said.
Got a big FTP bump. Not confident it correlates to any other measure of FTP (for me and the level I could perform at, for others that’s different). but have come to terms with that.
Word to the wise, I failed a few workouts at the start of the Beta, not, I feel due to the intensity, rather due to the load. Every hard session was predicted very hard. Just became too much to try and get up for it and dialled in for every session. Have to be on top of your game for continuous, repeating, vo2 and anaerobic sessions. Training approach was still set as Demanding pre Beta. Dialled it back to balanced and it has been good since then. I think as the Ai is constantly squeezing a little bit more from you in different domains (not workout levels) it’s keeping you on a knife edge. It’s good at doing that, but you can easily get pushed over the edge if you’re not careful. I am definitely more respectful of my training now.
Good one TR team. Smashed it.
Super happy with it. So far the workouts are “just right” for me. The hard ones are manageable but only just, I look at them and think “no way” but then the execution is just fine. It makes it less daunting and more sustainable. My FTP adjusted down a tick but that was because I had a week off during the build phase. No going back for me.
Isn’t it just! I was waiting for an “I love the new AIFTP system” post. Glad its now here!
My “FTP” (Functional Trainerroad Power
) dropped about 18%! I was a little taken aback, but I thought “trust the system”, TR know what they’re doing. And being completely honest, there is no way I could hold my old FTP for long at all! I could complete workouts but they were always in the 1-3.0 PLs, I never really ever saw over a 3.0 for the last few years.
My new FTP I could probably hold for around an hour and I’m seeing PLs 3-6 now which is giving me workouts I never saw before and they feel great.
Thanks TR crew! ![]()
This. As soon as I got my last detection I changed my approach (just for Endurance) to Conservative and I now have lovely easy rides (that I can ride a bit harder on if it feels good on the day) and it had no effect on my predicted FTP. Win-win.
I’m also quite pleased. I had a bit of a bumpy start with some too hard workouts in the first two weeks, but everything fell into place afterwards. Even switched over to the yearly plan despite the early difficulties.
You are not alone. I am really happy with the update.
While generally happy with the previous iteration, it was a bit disjointed and this feels like a big step forward into a coherent product.
My job involves working with data and I’m more than happy to offload the thinking to someone else and have no interest in trying to backward engineer how this works (still interesting when reading snippets from the team).
Do the rides, give an honest RPE, move on. Top work team.
Feels like I’m getting good workouts ![]()
Will take time to see whether it’s working, and my fitness is progressing.
It’s been interesting listening to how the app has developed, and it’s stimulated thoughts on ny my non-cycling training. Namely - am I aiming to do too much?
So far I’ve been happy with the update. I thought the FTP Prediction was going to be a problem with the way I answered workout surveys but realized to not try a game the system, and have kept it honest to not bite myself in the long run.
It’s also been a good tool for when I’ve had to rearrange workouts due to work getting in the way.
After reading what have been said how the system looks at watts, the tool to compare up coming workouts power has been really helpful. In the past I would have multiple windows open to try and compare workouts that I may have not felt confident about.
The adjusting the slider for Endurance days is a great idea, I too feel like it pushes me on those days more than I would want.
Thanks for this suggestion, I didn’t even consider changing endurance to conservative. Honestly forgot we can do custom training approaches for each zone. I’ll give this a shot.
I did the same. If that’s not a positive review, I don’t know what is.
This thread warms my heart!