Altitude Sickness Patches

I qualified for Leadville and taking my family out for the event. My wife is freaking out a bit with the elevation. Does anyone have any experience with altitude sickness patches? Either for performance or just for reducing the effects of altitude sickness?

Ooala Altitude Sickness Prevention Patches | Supports Rapid Acclimation, Boosts Oxygen Intake, Fights Symptoms | Pack of 50 Amazon.com

I’ve used Diamox, which is a prescription for altitude sickness, when I’ve went out west skiing.

1 Like

This is a naturopathic/homeopathic product. It’s not available in my country as you can’t make unsubstantiated health claims like they’re doing.

If you’re worried about altitude sickness, there are other effective therapeutic options.

1 Like

If they’d work, the Leadville thread would be full of recommendations. So very likely not!

1 Like

Dexamethasone is the go to for AMS. Diamox is another but not nearly as effective. Do a little Google research and have your doctor explain the side effects. I would advise testing with it before the race. Also I am sure it is on the banned drug list since it is a steroid (not sure that is relevant or not with Leadville). I used to do a fair amount of high altitude climbing and used the drug very, very successfully to manage AMS symptoms such as headache and naseau.

1 Like

Yes

1 Like