Adaptive Training Is Now Out of Beta & Fully Available to All TrainerRoad Athletes!

Yes, it is defined as an A type TT event. Weirdly, if I change it to B-race, then the plan is rebuilt with more sweetspot workouts and no VO2max work. My next A-type event is a climbing marathon in July 2022 btw.

Not that weird - that’ll be because if you define it as a B event, the plan will focus on your A event next year, so it will probably put you back in Sweetspot Base given how far out we are now.

If you define it as an A event, which is in less than 4 weeks (i.e., very close), it’s going to focus on giving you some quick gains before a taper and then putting you back into base for your next A event. I would guess that it is putting you into the last few weeks of one of the Specialty plans.

In my experience VO2 intervals are the quickest way to find FTP gains (there’s just a limit to it, and it’s quite mentally taxing so you can’t do them forever). So I would probably have suggested something similar myself, although probably I would have expected one VO2 plus one Threshold rather than two VO2. The over-unders should get you used to a long effort though.

6 Likes

Sounds like a plausible explanation. Thank you.

Does anyone know if the screwed up sync is still considered an open bug? (I ask in here because it keeps happening for me when I choose an adaptation).

I figured they’d fixed it when they put in the flashy loading screen, but no, if I select an adaptation on my home PC, then go into the garage to train it doesn’t seem to be picking up on the change, no matter how much I press refresh / reload / wait. Web career / calendar page picks it up fine.

Is frustrating as a couple of times I’ve not noticed that it’s failed to pick it up and then done the wrong workout (failing on a couple of occasions as the original was harder than intended).

Do you leave the app open in the garage?

No, the laptop is shut down after use.

Edit - Did it again tonight, so it’s basically every time I make a change that it fails to show up on my other machine (I checked and it showed up on mobile and web).

1 Like

@IvyAudrain How do I respond to survey question for a flat out/All out race? Saturday I completed a 100 mile Time Trial (in 4h 13 or so and a PB by 10 mins or so, over 4hrs at .79IF). Obviously the effort was “All out” but there is no option to say that the all out effort was a race. The question asked after choosing “All out” is:

" That looked tough, but finding your limits is a good thing! Help us understand the primary reason why today was challenging."

Believe me I was finding my limits. However there is no way to explain this was a race and a deliberate all out effort! The only options are (other things affected me, and it lists:

• Intensity
  • Training fatigue
  • Nutrition
  • Sleep
  • Stress/Motivation
  • Sick
  • Injured
  • Other

OK I can put “Other” and put in some text, but that is probably meaningless to AT. (I can’t believe even these get slipped under Chad’s door).

If I put “Intensity” it suggests It was too intense.

Why is there not an option to say "This was a race and therefore I was “Flat out” and deliberate?

I have looked at the blog post for surveys, but that does not help. Advice please, as this looks like an omission.

Thanks

3 Likes

Not sure that there is any need/point in completing the survey for unstructred riding is there? I don’t think it does anything in AT.

With workouts, how you rate the workouts affects what adaptations you may be offered for future workouts in the same progression. I don’t see that rating unstructured rides will do anything?

2 Likes

I also mentioned this to support months ago. I use the Other option and type in race. It’s the best option currently.

1 Like

You have to open/close the app and then open again, otherwise the sync don’t work, i reported it several times to support, it’s registered as a bug, but have no priority to solve it soon as i understand

TR App is the first App since i use computer over 40 years, where i have to start the App 2 times to get it work

1 Like

I have this issue too (Windows app). I’m just used to it now, so do it out of habit. But it is annoying that the sync is so bad.

3 Likes

My question is though, what does rating the unstructured stuff actually add? I don’t think it adds anything currently.

@IvyAudrain I currently do a MV plan but sometimes, depending on their intensity/duration, I substitute weekend rides for workouts. I am just wondering if missed workouts will lower my progression levels and I would be better with a LV plan and just adding a weekend ride/ workout as I go?

1 Like

Ugh, ridiculous. Thanks for the info though.

Sorry for being late to the party! But I feel as though Intensity is the right choice here. You were ‘finding your limits’ and the race was flat out because of the intensity of the pace/accelerations.
The point of that survey is to either know the distinction between your workout/activity being challenging becuase of the effort, or if it was challenging because of a mechanical reason/illness/stress/etc.

You could be missing key ‘systems’ during those weekend workouts that you substitute for unstructured weekend rides, so I would do LV to make sure that those boxes are checked and key workouts are missed, and add the weekend rides when you’re able!

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks Ivy. Given this whole site is about getting faster (and racing), this really seems like an omission to be able to simply say “I was racing” (though given TR knows it is a race, again that seems inconsistent).

JJ in support tells me that adding “It was a race” is
…something that we are addressing with the second version of the workout outcome classifier. Unfortunately, we don’t have a timetable…

It seems such an obvious omission, especially to someone like me who races 10-20 Time trials a year and I am often flat out for an hour or far longer, as in this case. For the moment I’ll stick to intensity, as you advise.

1 Like

Did you call it a workout? Or was it scheduled as a race? It seems like you wouldn’t need to complete a survey at all for a race :man_shrugging:

I had a race with AT and my response didn’t do anything to my levels or future workouts. I think in the future it would be nice to have a bump in levels and some change in the upcoming training schedule. To me it goes back to “unstructured outside rides” which are a work in progress.