Adaptive Training Is Now Out of Beta & Fully Available to All TrainerRoad Athletes!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I restart the interval or add time to an interval? I noticed the +1, +5, +10 min option but it only shows at the start of warm-up and cooldown intervals, right?

This allows you to jump forward or backward in a workout, but it is not meant for “modifying” workouts in the way that I think you want. Particularly with rewinding, it overwrites the prior data which means a loss of the power data and all that entails.

But for the sake of sharing an option:

1 Like

I’m currently throwing in Zwift races and want to adapt an existing plan. These are C and B type races, and maybe an A one every 8 weeks. The problem I’m running into though is that after let’s say a couple of months are entered and the plan is created, I’m not able to extend the plan for the rest of the year.

In other words, I want to keep a fitness schedule on the calendar, post these virtual races.

How is this done?

If you’re referring to @IvyAudrain’s comment above on what to do when you get interrupted during an interval, I believe she was only referring to workouts you do outside, and it would have to be something you do on your head unit.

I don’t know how to extend an interval on my garmin, but you could always just restart the interval mentally/manually (without the automatic laps via the head unit).

1 Like

For any head unit there can be a much simpler way if it happens at the start of an interval. For example last night I did some 2 min intervals, and unfortunately the timing turned out that the last one started during a dangerous corner:

After finishing the corner I simply looked down and saw the timer was +8 seconds into the interval, and so I tacked on 10 seconds after the interval finished. With such a short interruption, I would have done that for any of the intervals even if it meant short-changing the 1 minute recovery.

Depending on the situation, sometimes a simple solution is better than hitting pause and resume.

1 Like

I actually found this on the TR forums for garmin head units:

Can you clarify why you’d like to extend your plan? Are you trying to add another target ‘A’ event in a couple months? Or is it that you’d just like to extend your current plan instead of starting over, or are you expecting Plan Builder to extend your plan automatically if you add more events?

Thanks in advance for the added context, this will help us provide the most accurate advice possible!

At this point I’d like to extend out a year worth of workouts, and start adding events or virtual races without having to delete the plan, but, hopefully the plan will adapt.

Looking at the questions posed, I suppose the I’m expecting Plan Builder to extend the plan automatically as you add events.

What I noticed was when I created the plan, I could only plan three months of C type events, with two of them being A, and immediately after the last event, the plan stops.

I seem to remember, but I could be wrong, in an earlier iteration of Plan Builder that you could create a date range, so I would create a year’s worth of workouts. The program doesn’t seem to allow me to create the original date range, then put in events…or maybe I’m creating the plan incorrectly.

In any case, thanks for looking into my issue Ivy.

You cannot extend your plan without deleting and reapplying with a later end date. You will be able to select next year or beyond as your last A event to have that whole year of workouts planned as you’d like, and adding B and C (and other A events intermittently) will result in Adaptive Training adjusting those workouts to accommodate it.

To “create the original date range”, you can still build your plan to be at your original past start date, and Plan Builder will remember and ‘keep’ the events you already entered if you wish. From there, with your new year-out end date, you can continue to add races as long as they’re before your end date.

From a coaching standpoint, we dont want to enable athletes to just extend the ‘end’ of your plan (Specialty phase) forever. Chasing that ‘peak’ indefinitely will result in a lack of progression, and a big decline in fitness if you draw it out too long! Taking a rest after peaks and rebuilding to make sure you keep progressing and getting faster is the move. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response, and agree on the coaching standpoint view.

1 Like

Anyone understand why AT would put a Stretch threshold workout in my taper week? Normal duration too, not a short one.

I don’t really understand the coaching logic - I’m already stressed about the event and putting in a workout that I was going to struggle with doesn’t seem like smart logic…

For comparison it gave me a 30 minute achievable Threshold workout last week. Has it got my taper the wrong way round?

Sounds like it’s gotten confused.

Try support@trainerroad.com if you haven’t already.

Does AT suggest adaptations to keep weekly TSS ramp rates in line? For example, If I choose an alternate workout at the same level, that has a fair chunk more (or less) TSS than what was there, does AT make adjustments in the future to overall weekly hours or TSS?

So this week i wanted to do a bit more volume as i signed up for Rapha 500. Instead of the prescribed workouts i selected endurance rides via Train Now as i was conscious of any SS or threshold workouts if i needed to do 500km. I also kept an eye on Garmin Suggested Workouts each day. All you get from Train Now in this case is the same endurance rides, no suggestion of a rest day, little to no change of the next weeks plan. Maybe a reduction in levels of a workout or two.

Garmin on the other hand reacted to my activities, changing todays sweet spot with bursts to a rest day because i didnt do its recovery ride yesterday but did Baxter endurance ride. I know if i rode say a sweet spot ride now today it would change tomorrows Threshold ride to something easier. Suspect the Join App is similar. It’s like they will change the whole next 7 days training to accommodate what you did today.

Hopefully workout levels V2 will improve things. I just think there’s more to come from Adaptive Training.

Just my 2p, loyal TR customer, happy new year all.

Hi Jesse!
Sorry for the delayed response. To answer your question: No , Adaptive Training does not suggest adaptations to meet a TSS target.

Instead, Adaptive Training is looking at more complex progressions per zone that you should be meeting in order to move you towards the goals identified in Plan Builder. It does this primarily to ensure you’re getting the most out of your training in specificity; where all TSS is not created equally.

Let me know if you have further questions about this, happy to help!

It’s a feature available on some Edge units like the 1040 and also watches like the Fenix. Suggests a weeks workouts in front based on what you do each day regardless of if you follow their workouts or do something different.

Looking at the edge today is has
Today - base 1hr 57
Tomorrow - base 1 hr 23
Friday - threshold 1 hr 7
Saturday - base 1 hr 37
Sunday - sprint 1 hr 12
Monday - threshold 1 hr 7
Tuesday - recovery 30 mins

For some times in the year I think I’ll give it a whirl. Perhaps Train Now could be expanded to suggest a week in front.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure as i’ve never tried a Garmin coaching plan but i think it would be the same with all plans. It runs separate to a training plan and just reacts every night to what you’ve done that day and changes one or several or all the days of the next 7 days,or nothing if you follow it. Particularly like it suggesting rest and recovery days.

It isn’t immediately clear on the Edge what the workout is because the home screen will always show what outdoor workout has been prescribed if you have one, you go into Training, Workouts, Daily Suggested Workout and it

I think its great if you just want to train with no goal event.

1 Like

@Pirate @Michael_D Last year I followed my fenix 6 Garmin Suggested workouts (both cycling and running) for several months. I liked them. There was a good variety and it supposedly was specific to my current fitness level and accounted for my fatigue, lack of sleep, etc. I felt like it built a great foundation for my season. The newer watches and edge units will actually build towards a specific race (which mine won’t because it’s “old”).

2 Likes

Ah that’s great i just had a look. Interestingly it took my rest day into account yesterday and nudged my plan back a day.

Edge has an event calendar and suggested i put an event in, I’m doing Ride London in May so put that in with 21 mph as the target, distance etc and its now changed the daily suggested to an eye watering 13 hrs a week, surprised theres no rest day maybe it schedules one as you go along when it sees the effort done. Im on a TR rest week this week i may try this for a couple days see what happens. Isn’t sustainable i will continue with my TR plan for sure.

Today - base 1 hr 57
Tomorrow - base 1 hr 23
Sat - Long ride base 3 hrs 32
Sunday - long ride base 3 hrs 32
Monday - base 1 hr 27
Tues - Threshold - 1 hr 2
Wed - recovery - 30 mins

Overview is
Base Phase 5 Jan to 23 Feb
Build phase 24 Feb to 14 Apr
Peak phase 15 Apr to 17 May
Taper phase 18 May to 27 May

1 Like

I usually ended up shortening workouts. I normally only have 1 hour on week days. So, if it called for a longer endurance workout, I just stopped at an hour. If it was intervals, I would shorten the warmup and/or cooldown to try to match the work prescribed. The cool thing is that the “plan” is very dynamic and will change regularly. It’s similar to adaptive training that way. The difference is the workouts in TR adaptive training will always stay within the same energy system, meaning a threshold workout isn’t going to be adapted to an endurance workout. With Garmin a threshold workout later in the week may change to an endurance workout if you are not recovering.