Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

Added today but with life circumstances I’m unsure if/when I will be able to train. If I need to move my plan start date how can I move my entire plan builder?

AT will adapt to PL’s that are changed from non Plan Builder workouts, but it can only adapt upwards the workouts attached to the Plan Builder plan.

1 Like

Feature Request for AT please @IvyAudrain

The ability to accept or reject individual adaptations. I.e. I’m day one of second base and have adaptation pending. They all look great except I’ve selected an alternated SS workout for one of the days already. It’d be ideal if you could uncheck a day when confirming adaptations.

6 Likes

Today I did a threshold workout that should have been Achievable. Due to various factors I wasn’t sure how it would go. I cracked in the last set and got the failure survey at the end. I responded that it was too intense. The threshold workouts in the next two weeks got adapted downward to workouts with a similar structure, but with an intensity that seems much more doable than today’s.

Left to my own devices, I would have been likely to try the same workout over again next week, or even to move on to the next workout in the progression, hoping I would magically feel more energetic or that my fitness would come up to the level. This approach is less intimidating, less stressful, and gives me much more confidence that I’ll be able to do the workouts that are now proscribed.

TL;DR: adaptive training is working for me so far.

12 Likes

Well, I had a variation on this snafu yesterday. My workout shows a PL increase of +0.7, but that increase was not reflected on the career page – so no adaptations in the future based on accomplishing a productive workout. And then today’s endurance stretch workout, which I nailed and scored as moderate should have given me +1.6 on PL is showing as +0.0 on the workout card and the career page is as it was prior to the workout.

I hope Nate’s optimism about a code release addressing this stuff is realized. Me, I’m getting tired of having to do more work in the AT beta to manually track PL, manually make adjustments based on workouts where increases were earned and not credited, then figuring out what workout to do to keep progressing. Sigh…

1 Like

In some plans the Sunday SS ride is designed to be achievable, not productive.

Initially I had the same scenario as you after doing a Stretch or Productive alternate, and couldn’t understand why no Progressions were generated… Now I leave them as they are or choose a harder alternate if I feel the need.

2 Likes

That’s my kind of stupidity, right 'deir. “Start hard, don’t bail, ya baby!” “just grind em off the back rubber, dey can’t hang on yer tail forever.”

1 Like

This is my issue with AT and the TR version of Machine Learning… Does my vacation (13 hours total, 560 TSS) last week not count for TSS/endurance/SS/Threshold/VO2 because I didn’t book any of my saddle time as structured TR rides and only associated 1 or 2 of the 8 days’ worth of rides with actual TR workouts after the fact?

Until then, I’ll keep Coach Chad’s input with plan builder and keep my bro-science and self-awareness around what I’ve actually done.

If you have a workout in the plan, from plan builder and choose a harder alternative - or simply pick another workout and do that for the day - you will get a bump in progression levels and maybe a bump in the following workouts.

The reason you might not see a bump in the following workouts depends on what the plan is trying to do. You might be on a taper for example, or rest week, or it wants to give you an easy one.

I have done this plenty as the last two FTP tests puts me back to 1.0 and I just straight up to 5 ish. Following workouts are harder. You won’t see a bump if you’re not in a plan though.

On occasion I have done a harder workout, and got a bump in PL, but no adaptions. I figure I am smart so I manually change some workouts to harder ones. AT then decides “no, I don’t want you going that hard” and set them back to easier. For reference this happened to me in Speciality phase. Now I just let AT do it’s thing.

1 Like

Try going to a low volume plan and move the workouts around ad hoc to suit. Other wise you can use “Train Now” and watch your levels go up but without a plan there won’t be adaptions naturally.

Yes. Our ego often gets in the way of a nice progression because we try a hard workout again and again. One step back leads to two steps forward

Jonathon mentioned on the podcast that he was doing a polarised plan with AT. I didn’t think this was possible?

1 Like
3 Likes

Currently, no PL credit is earned from outdoor unstructured rides.

TR are working on adding functionality to change that situation (“initial/internal alpha”* or summat currently I think), but it’s been indicated that it won’t make the initial Production release of AT which may not be that far away.

Correctly crediting us for outdoor unstructured rides is, along with outdoor Wahoo-driven structured workouts, clearly a large missing piece of the jigsaw - and TR are fully aware of that - so we just have to deal with that reality as best we can for the time being.

*personally I reckon that “correctly” crediting PLs on unstructured stuff is a really difficult problem to solve well and my total guess is that it will be quite some time before we see a solution that works really well and that lots of us have very high confidence in. I write “correctly” as I suspect there’s a lot of cope for subjective differences of opinion. Hopefully I’m wrong but I think it’s easy to underestimate just how tricky a problem this may turn out to be vs. correctly analysing/crediting structured stuff, which is an absolute doddle in comparison.

Going to be interesting! Don’t envy the support staff fielding elevnty billion queries a week from us lot about why we rode “this” but only scored “that”, and why those energy systems and not these, etc etc etc etc etc etc… :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been in the beta for a week now and I have 2 problems:

• I completed Excelsior +2 on Sunday (4:15h workout with 4x20 minutes of tempo) and since it’s classified as a tempo workout, it pushed up my tempo numbers, but my endurance numbers stayed at 2.6;
  • I do 2 or 3 workouts a day: 1 or 2 in the morning (e. g. 1 hard one and then 1 easy spin instead of extending hard one for 30 mins) and 1 easy spin in the afternoon. If I finish either of my easy spins early (time restrictions cause of going to work or too much fatigue from morning ride) it basically destroys my levels, since AT thinks level 1.0 Lazy Mountain is way too much for me.

Neither of these really bother me cause I don’t really care about my levels, but since AT is all based about getting you the right workouts, it might be nice to look into this.

Ok I lied, there are 3 things:
When I complete a survey in the app, I still get the “missing response” text when analyzing the workout online.

A work around for the third item that has worked for me is to close the app after finishing the survey and then reopen the app and look at the workout and see that it shows your response. Close the app and it should now be correct online. Not optimal, but it has worked.

It’s probably expected behaviour that if you start failing workouts due to training fatigue that AT will try to back you off a bit.

Re: Endurance - mine are inaccurate as well since I basically do outdoor unstructured rides for that purpose, but it doesn’t seem to affect my use of AT. Looking at most of the plans I don’t think it would be a big issue, since most only really have Endurance rides in for rest weeks or as fillers, and in my experience AT keeps the recovery week endurance workouts low regardless of your level (i.e., it doesn’t try to have you doing Progressive or Stretch workouts during a rest week - which seems logical).

2 Likes

This just in from support on the issue I posted on yesterday further up this thread.

We’re having a different issue with Outside Workouts not counting towards Progression Levels that we started to see yesterday. This is a high-priority issue, and our Devs are working hard to push an update that will fix the issue. When that update pushes, we will be able to reprocess your history to update your Progression Levels according to the correct logic.

I’ll be in touch as soon as the update is ready. I’m really sorry for the frustrating bugs you’ve been encountering. Once AT pushes to production, we won’t be changing the logic and we won’t see these weird bugs anymore.

3 Likes

really important for those of us who ride new roads, ride in the city, or do group rides. I know they’re working on it, and I don’t need “correct” I just need as good or better than my own “self-awareness.” Maybe I’m looking for confirmation bias, or for ML to reprogram my own self-awareness.

I don’t need full correct credit, but I really need recognition that when I ride tempo/SS for hours on my longest ride of the year, I’m not losing SS fitness. I’m not saying I need to go from 4.5 SS to a 6.5 based on that one ride, but I shouldn’t regress.

4 Likes

Maybe I missed something, but could you just decline to accept the workout adaptations? Then when you do the next structured workout and succeed, your PLs will jump back up again.

1 Like