Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

I’m comparing TR flow vs TP flow. When the workout is created in TrainingPeaks, you can see target power in both TP and Garmin after the ride. The TP workout can sync to TrainerRoad and you can only see target power in TR if performed indoors.

FWIW the difference between TR and TP structured workouts on Garmin: in the workout’s .FIT file the workout steps are defined, and the field target_type is defined as:

• “power_lap” by TR
  • “power_3s” by TP (and by Garmin too)
1 Like

Just been signed up to the Beta

Is there an FAQ link anyone can point me to that will deal with the main ‘basic’ newbie adopter queries to save asking the forum and clogging up threads?

TIA :+1:t2:

1 Like

Brilliant one @mattonabike, sums it up perfectly…

Strange theory: is this talk of AT actually just a very elaborate hoax to get us to read 3000+ posts? Now where did I put that tinfoil hat again? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There is not. We’re happy to answer questions you have! You can also use the search function and limit it to this thread to find answers as well.

2 Likes

Just want to say thanks TR for the automatic TSS estimate from heart rate function! A pleasant surprise from the beta I wasn’t aware of.

5 Likes

It’d be good to prompt the survey manually, I’ve had it not prompt me. History on progression levels would be cool.

1 Like

I thought that but with levels being reset/adjusted whenever your FTP is modified, either via ramp test or manually or even by AT itself, then it is only useful over a short period of time.

3 Likes

If it were that simple, then TR would have had adaptive training years ago.

IF just correlates with progression, but it is not the same. Like others said, duration and workout structure (4 x 10 minutes = 40 minutes at FTP is very different from 1 x 40 minutes = 40 minutes at 100 % FTP) are key. Plus, there are different algorithms for the different energy systems.

3 Likes

I can imagine that it’s pretty linear IF to level relationship for sweat spot and endurance workouts but I don’t think it is the case for workouts made up of many shorter intervals - Machine learning was used here according to the podcast.

Machine learning is also used when it comes to prescribing future workouts. I.e deciding what workout would give the best performance improvement.

I have not used TR for a month or so (because the sun is shining!) but my inclusion into the beta has me back on the wagon.

I set up a new plan, didn’t do a ramp test because I’ve recently done a 20min test, and adaptive training immediately wants to downgrade everything. My plan is to ignore the adaptions for the first couple of weeks until TR gets a hang of my current performance and then let it start doing its thing after that.

Is this a good plan?

4 Likes

I don’t get it: what’s the point of using AT when the first thing you are doing is ignoring it? AT will re-up your progress levels if you can handle the easier workouts.

3 Likes

I do agree to a point but adaptive training seems to think I’ve been completely off the bike for a month but this is not the case. I.e. I don’t think it would be downgrading my future workouts if it took my outside unstructured rides into account.

I’m just planning on feeding it a bit more data before I start listening to it.

For instance I just did my planned threshold workout that was marked as “breakthrough” that was actually hard but manageable - now it’s stopped trying to adapt my future threshold workouts.

If I do the same for my upcoming “breakthrough” vo2 max and sweetspot workouts then I think I will be starting my adaptive training at a level more in line with my current status.

That’s my thinking anyway.

2 Likes

I’m curious: what makes you think AT lacks data? It is perfectly aware of your past indoor workouts and at least your structured workouts. You seem quite eager to override it without knowing how it actually works in the long run. I’d just test the system as-is right now for a block or two, and learn how to use the system as it was intended.

Since AT doesn’t grade your outdoor rides it can think you’re losing fitness. I had a month span of not doing structure from my Ironman. A ramp test fixed it right up though. Took the ramp test. Ftp went up and so did my levels

1 Like

That’s probably where I’ve messed it up then - I skipped the ramp test (because I’d just done one).

So all I’m doing is doing a week of un-adapted workouts first then I’ll let the AI do its thing. I don’t see how this would be different than if I had been enrolled onto the beta next week (or started my plan last week).

1 Like

Quick process question…I got my nod to AT last week, but I am only 5 weeks out from my A event (The Rift in Iceland), so I am not interested in upsetting the Apple cart at this time…and I am doing many of my rides outside now as well. (Which I believe are still unsupported in AT? Correct me if I am wrong)

So does my invite remain open until I decide to go to AT, or is it only good for a certain period of time and then it is rescinded? Any idea @IvyAudrain ?

Why not just sign up and then continue to do what you were doing? Then, after your event, start a new plan, do the Ramp test, and follow the AT recommendations.

1 Like

Fair point…I am mostly planning on riding outside, and with less structure, the rest of the summer as I don’t have any targeted events. Just looking to enjoy being back to riding with others as much as possible.

2 Likes

Manual toggle your ftp. Should do the trick

1 Like

Outdoor workouts are processed by AT.