Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

I am using plan builder. I don’t ever see “No Adaptations Required”. I either see “Adaptations Pending” or nothing.

Is there a manual/guide for AT? I am not sure about how to rate the suggestions. Maybe someone can direct me in the right direction? Search engine doesnt seem to show anything.

Eg. I stopped early one ride as I ran out of time and needed to get ready for work. So far my “excuse” for ending early was “equipment issue”. Another ride, I stopped midway as I had to wake the kids up to get ready for school. Obviously the second part of the workout was easier as I had the unscheduled “break”. Any suggestions to maximise adaption calculations in these scenarios?

Cheers

Mine didn’t start at 1. Was your ramp test before the adaptive training beta?

That’s precisely what they did with their whole workout catalogue. Nate discussed it pretty in depth in the announcement podcast. I’d recommend flipping through that video for more info on the ML side of things as that’s the best resource we have on it at this time.

Do you mean the surveys? If you’re being given a pass survey, just answer it honestly. There is no set way to do it as the ML is comparing your responses to your responses. My 4 and your 4 can be different and that’s 100% OK.

As for the other surveys, there is an option called Time for when you have to cut short for stuff like what you described. It would show up the in survey you’d get, but you may have to scroll down to find it.

3 Likes

I’m in. Only my outdoor rides (synced from garmin) are not (yet) evaluated. I cant do them perfectly due to external factors like traffic/crossings and corners. So for now i’m adapting the plan myself :slight_smile:

Important safety tip!

I was thinking of these worlds colliding:

Ha!

Anywho, it was underwhelming.

1. TR workout didn’t want to load on Garmin. Everything looked fine. Wasted a half hour. It finally loaded.

2. Forgot how much I despise TR’s use of Step Power Average on the default Garmin workout screen. Its terrible user experience, anyone recall Alex on the podcast saying he can’t ride with lap power average being display? Thats the only power number you get because of TR’s design decision. And that is one major reason why I stopped using TR’s outside workout over a year ago. Imagine a TR app where you don’t have 1-sec power displayed (for example 177W), and just a tiny real-time graph of power and average lap power. Now imagine because of traffic the first 20 seconds of a zone2/zone3/SS interval is 0W and how you are now stuck looking at a really low average power number. Very poor user experience as compared to structured workouts from Garmin Mobile and TrainingPeaks.

3. Ended the ride, it auto-matched, but no survey on TR mobile app. No survey on TR web. Had to load the completed workout on TR web (on my mobile phone) and click the 3 dots to update survey.

4. No progression updates, and based on some posts in this threads I’m guessing TR viewed it as a fail and didn’t update levels.

5. TR still doesn’t show target power on the completed workout.

A few screenshots of my outside workout between 75-85%, with a bunch of short interrupts due to Friday night traffic.

Original workout targets on TrainingPeaks:

On TR with Tempo highlighting:

Some short traffic interruptions.

Calendar view this morning:

Survey I dug up after poking around TR web interface last night:

Gave it a “I didn’t struggle with this workout” rating:

And after that screen rated it Moderate.

3 Likes

Options available on Connect IQ

I just created a screen with the various power levels I wanted - NP for the interval, current 5s average, etc.

Start the workout, hit the down button (in my case) and I’ve got the data I want. I do get “Power high/low” alerts from the default Garmin screen but I’ll ignore those early on in an interval for the reason you give (amongst others)

1 Like

I’m going back to TrainingPeaks workouts on Garmin.

1 Like

Isn’t there an assumption here, namely, that if you want to increase your power along the entire curve, you must do workouts that work power levels along the entire curve? Why is that true?

WHere do you find the FTP projections with AT?

There is no necessity to do workouts along the entire curve, you can still pick you plan according to your needs. In my case the static plans worked fine in certain zones but were too hard in others. The progression levels made that problem go away. I am not sure if a strong improvement in one zone affects the PLs for other zones in the TR model, but don’t think that is a major issue anyway. If you don’t want to use workouts in those other zones it is irrelevant, and if you do the PL is corrected pretty quickly.

Why even use default workout screen? Just create the second screen as suggested by tr and go with that. Works great for me.

2 Likes

FTP projection is not available yet, but the feature is being tested on TR internal builds (Nate posted an instagram story with it the other day).

1 Like

Not sure why I’ve not seen an increase in my Endurance PL with this workout - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/112125987-townsend-tr-outside-workout It was meant to be 90mins but with it being fine weather here in the UK I extended it by almost double. The hill at the end was a choice of one of three to get home but admittedly the hardest one. The end of workout questionnaire was the “failure” one, I chose the “I didn’t fail” option and set the success questionnaire as “moderate” - apart from the fourteen minutes of the final climb it was very much easy going.

In my calendar the workout is characterised as “stretch” but there’s no change to my PL. Seems a bit hit and miss as to which workouts contribute, on Tuesday I did https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/111751857-mount-grant-tr-outside-workout which is characterised as “Breakthrough” and four of the progression levels moved up.

Don’t see how machine learning added value here. Progression levels are defined as the “relative difficulty of workouts within each energy system”. Sounds similar to the IF factor. So took 10 sweet spot workouts at different progression levels and plotted them against their IF factor. It shows a linear correlation and for this cross section 97% (R squared) of the variance in progression levels is predicted by the IF factor. The remaining 3% is already in the range of power meter accuracy and precision so not noticeable most by users.

Creating the plot took 10 minutes. If you would dive a little deeper, eliminated the warm-ups and looked at interval lengths and %FTP in the intervals I am pretty sure you will find the exact analytical formula to calculate PLs.

Picture1

duration is also a factor, not just IF

Because its a sub-par user experience. TrainerRoad talks about Cognitive Load and Deep Work and Flow, and generally sets a high bar for usability. But TR-on-Garmin breaks the mold, in my humble opinion. I’ve tried a lot of different data screens and having been doing outside workouts in 2016 (before joining TR in December 2017).

And the sub-par user experience continues after the outside workout is completed. In TrainingPeaks I can see the target power, in TrainerRoad I cannot.

1 Like

I’m sort of mumbling general agreement, but are you sure? I do have a target power on my Garmin Edge for TR workouts.