Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

On the Known Issues page, it does reference Strava specifically, but it is combined with the Wahoo issue, which makes it appear as though it is Wahoo-specific rather than a Strava problem. Now we know that Garmin uploads via Strava are running into the same or a similar issue to the Wahoo head units. Makes me wonder if I have my Wahoo upload to Garmin Connect and have that send the info over to TR, if my Wahoo outdoor rides will actually begin to be counted correctly. :thinking:

For me Strava+Garmin did not work either. Manual uploads from Garmin Connect and now sync from Garmin Connect only works just fine.

Thanks for the link - so basically hardly anything is registered as wrong :smiley:

Ive emailed support with my problems. Presumably that is the route for beta testers?

1 Like

Little off topic but what a progress. What did you do in that ride? :grinning:

The only level 10 Endurance workout I could find in the TR catalogue is Bandeira, which is 6 hours between 65% and 75% FTP.

More importantly, you can do level 10 VO2 workouts?? :scream: My level seems to peak around 5.5ish, and I can’t imagine getting even to level 6 or 7, let alone level 10.

We can help! Do you just feel that after pushing workouts to Garmin and completing afterward, you’re not getting the adaptations as a result that you’d expect? (Or any?)

I encountered some sub-optimal behaviour changing my workout days today. Not sure if this is the best place for it. What happened as follows:

• Wanted to change my Tuesday workout to Monday
  • Used the default workout days workaround to change Tuesday to Monday
  • TR moves the workouts, but resets all workouts in current block back to the default (i.e., with no adaptations). That is to say, all workouts, not just the Tuesday ones, were reset to default.
  • For future workouts, this wasn’t a problem as I immediately got the “adaptations pending” notification and the future workouts were adjusted back to what they were before
  • However, AT does not adapt workouts on the current day, so my current day workout went back to the default.

Fortunately I had the planned workout open in a browser tab so I easily found it using alternates and changed it back. But it could be pretty annoying.

Would be much better if you could drag and drop plan workouts without breaking the link to the plan, but I think that still doesn’t work? @mcneese.chad posted about this before and it seemed that the change default days option was the best way to do it.

Also not sure what negative effect there would have been if I just booted up tomorrow’s workout from the app and did it today - would it then see tomorrow’s workout as a skipped workout still?

I appreciate this is relatively minor! But being able to drag and drop workouts around in a week without breaking their link to the plan would be really useful.

3 Likes

Thanks, @IvyAudrain. Yes, that’s the case. I am working with support so thinking my personal interests will be addressed. My point in the post is taking another run at the idea of FAQ/user documentation :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: for those in the beta. Jonathan’s positive response made me wonder if there are some details those of us with some challenges may be missing. The length of the threads related to AT have surpassed their helpfulness to someone with specific questions, or even more importantly, who don’t know what questions they should even be asking.

6 Likes

It seems odd that a Garmin sync is ok, but a Strava sync is not. Isn’t the same data?

1 Like

Searched the forum but could not find the answer. Was admitted to the beta, did a couple of workouts, saw the progression levels change, all good. Then I changed my FTP by 10 watts downwards to see what would happen. All progression levels went to 1.0. Then I changed my FTP back to the old (and correct) value, and all progression levels stayed at 1.0 (without accepting adaptations at any point in the process). Is that a known bug?

Progression levels reseting to 1.0 isn’t supposed to happen and is a known bug. It was caught early on and fixed a while back for most folks, but with more people getting added in, it has been cropping up again. Never a bad bet to submit a report to support@trainerroad.com to get it on their radar.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Cant find any guidance on what to expect, nor from support…What is going on here? :slight_smile:

Using my Garmin for an outdoor workout, and I noticed that it gave me a successful workout, even though to me I didn’t complete the workout. The workout was 3x20 sweetspot. The first interval was lower intensity than prescribed, probably more in the Tempo range. And I ended up doing a single 40 minute interval that was just about right at threshold. AT still gave me a full success. And it seems like the post ride survey doesn’t change the adaption based on the response. I tried picking different answers from moderate, hard, and very hard, but I get the same +3.8 adaption for each (1->4.8).

So, are they supposed to start at 1.0 when you accept Beta access? I accepted and got immediately presented with these levels.

I have literally just done my FTP test last week though, to start the 2nd phase of Build.

I wonder when I will ever get a failed workout survey. I have been really sick for the past 7 days and intentionally took 4 x 30 sec breaks in the second interval of comeback ride of Galena -1 (‘Achievable’ for me) because I was dying yet it qualifies as a pass (I marked it as ‘Very Hard’). I was hoping that my upcoming workouts would be adapted to become easier but a alas, the Sunday workout got adapted to be harder.

1 Like

Well, I need to get on with training so I accepted adaptations and nothing happened.

:man_shrugging:

Are you doing outside workouts mostly? Are you on a wahoo head unit? Are you using a garmin head unit, but uploading via strava? All these things can make your progression levels not work as they should. Check your calendar for workouts that are “achievable”, “stretch” or perhaps “breakthrough” but have progressions marked as “+0” in your recent history. If so, you’re probably affected by one or more of these bugs.

see https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059656131-Adaptive-Training-Known-Issues
and Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update - #951 by NotRailingTurns

1 Like

If you tap the arrow, it should jump to the adaptations. If it doesn’t, then it’s a bug. I had reported some buggy aspects of these arrows rather early on in the beta, but they had addressed them rather quickly at the time.

It’s actually quite lenient with what it considers a pass. I’ve skipped an entire 1 minute interval of Baird and gotten a pass survey before. As far as I’m concerned, I think that means we put way more pressure on ourselves in these workouts than we need to.

I would still say what you did falls into a pass, but maybe falls into the Struggle Pass category that they mentioned in the first podcast. Let us know if that Sunday workout adapts again. that’s still a ways out with a handful of workouts ahead of you, so it is possible it gets adapated again before Sunday. I wouldn’t worry about it until after Saturday’s workout if it hasn’t changed and it feels undoable.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! Its quite confusing so to answer your questions:
I follow an LV plan and have been pretty strict on hitting all the indoors up until last week. Do you mean outdoor TR workouts or just riding outdoors? As above, I do the prescribed TR workouts indoors but ride 1-2 times outdoors additionally but unsructured rides. I use a Garmin watch, all 3 accounts are linked Strava/Garmin/TR.

I only accepted the Beta this morning before a VO2 ride.

*quick edit: On my calendar it says all my outdoor rides are imported from Garmin.

I think (note think) that indoor TR workouts synced via strava (strava can be in the picture even though it says “garmin” on the calendar) also can be affected, but I would definitively contact support If I where you.

1 Like