Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

There’s a few posts mentioning that the announcement was in response to the DJ video. I’m not sure that’s entirely correct. Way back in Nov/Dec 2020 I, and several others, asked about “Masters’ plans” and being able to adapt the plans, the response from @IvyAudrain was that “something will be announced shortly” (without digging up the thread I can’t be sure that those were her exact words but it’s a close enough paraphrase). At that point in an example of my sarcastic humour I posted a countdown: “28 days” that others added to over the next week to ten days. That points to TR planning to announce AT sometime around when they did, the DJ video may or may not have influenced the exact timing and unless @Nate_Pearson or someone else on the team explicitly confirm that one way or another then it’s just idle speculation on our part. (I’ll stop there!)

A slight aside: I think the release of the new plans could have been done differently. Namely announce that they were retiring the current(old) plans in a couple of weeks’ time to allow those on holiday/vacation to get back and give people a chance to populate their calendar with the old plans, making it clear that they shouldn’t then “update” their plans as that would bring in the new ones.

OK, that said, I got my AT invite this morning :tada: I signed up within a day of the podcast announcement.

One problem (for me) is that I’m currently doing the Polarised plans mostly outdoors in the UK non-summer so haven’t got anything Plan Builder originated in my calendar. However I’m filling in the questionnaire for the workouts I’ve done so the system has something, a foundation if you like, to work on once I move back to a PB based plan.

Another problem is that roughly half my workouts are on a mountain bike without a power meter so just HR data, the problem here is that even though there’s an associated workout the lack of power data means there’s no association with any progression levels - this https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/110599316-windy-as-f- is associated with Warren whereas this https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/110719167-nevado-tr-outside-workout was done on my road bike with power meter so has associated progression levels. Most of my endurance rides/workouts are done on the MTB.

The result of that is that currently my PL for endurance is 4.8 whereas for VO2max (one of my weak points) is 6.1. Probably not a fault with AT, more that I’ve fed it skewed data.

Now to immerse myself in the system and figure out what all the terms mean in relation to what I’ve done. (Where’s the geeky nerd emoticon? :grinning:)

4 Likes

I saw it as DJ having some information regarding the pending AT announcement and making sure he got a jab in before it was made public. I guess it’s easy to look at it as a knee jerk reaction from TrainerRoad but I think it was the other way around.

I have done some outdoor workouts based on RPE and they did impact my PL. I did fletcher a couple of weeks back and my endurance increased from 3.7 to 4.8 so as you start do them they should change your PL (assuming you are using Garmin). I am doing another one tonight so will see what happens!

Yeah, I guess it’s a case of figuring things out. It’s likely they impact your PLs, just there’s no PL info on that particular workout page. Using Garmin 520.

I’ve been going back through my workouts and there’s definitely some anomalies. I did Bartlett Peak a couple of weeks ago https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/109438958-bartlett-peak-tr-outside-workout and it’s marked it up as “Struggle” and “Not recommended” despite it being part of a threshold progression in the polarised plan - Miller, marked as “success”, Mount Grant marked as “struggle” - and I did them all on the same hill. My assessment both during and after the workouts would have been “hard” to “very hard”, if the hill had been five minutes longer I could have still kept that power going.

From memory of what’s been said, I think there’s a 7 day limit to being able to update the survey so these are probably fixed in stone now.

Yeah, I think TRs big takeaway is to keep things under wraps slightly longer, and I say this as someone in the past who got shown some cool new very beta reporting features at my job so I could get it implemented on the demo site and then stupidly told a client about them, and they wouldn’t leave me alone after that!

3 Likes

They’re mostly busy bitching and moaning about the new plans in the meantime.

Probably.

Also there might still be others who trust the process and carry on with wht they got.

2 Likes

So I have a thought on people upset that TR made this huge announcement about AT before being “ready” to rollout. I honestly don’t see any really constructive thoughts on how they could have done this better. I and a few others on the forum were invited to participate in very very early iterations of AT last summer. I think we had an idea of what was coming but were discreet for obvious reasons. Had there been a broader beta test group prior to their announcement, what are the chances someone would leak info before TR got to make their reveal?

I think they made their announcement because they were comfortable enough to show the world what they’re up to, and I frankly don’t see a way how they could have gotten a broader swath of users testing AT without making the feature public knowledge. So I can’t totally relate to the upset feelings that the announcement was made prior to making it generally available.

12 Likes

Got added yesterday. Been a trainerroad user since 2015 :grimacing::blush:

4 Likes

I’ve decided I can’t read the AT posts any longer. Without being in I get lost a bit. On top of that I think I’d like to stay where I’m at with my current plan until at least July and I get through the back to back to back weeks of gravel races in June. See you in July AT, I hope.

2 Likes

Update on this: confirmed! We can continue to expect a frequent introduction of smaller individual releases/features as we work towards releasing AT to all. :sunglasses:

31 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Ivy

2 Likes

So tonight’s outdoor ride was associated with a outside workout and it did count towards progression levels. +0.3 on Endurance. Was only a gentle spin out tonight (apart from a couple of hills I couldn’t resist on!)

4 Likes

Looks like my HR data only outside workout also contributed to my endurance level, moving from 3.8 to 4.1.

@IvyAudrain - I am now in the AT beta (Yay!) and I have a question. I have been on a non-AT polarized training plan. When I went through the AT intro it recommended going into plan builder and redoing my plan. So, I did that and it came up with what looked like a standard plan with a lot of high intensity work. Is there a way to make it create a polarized plan? Or do I need to do that manually?

Just got my invitation this morning, and literally just emailed support the question about being in week 3 of the 6 week polarized base and how AT will handle that. I haven’t actually enrolled until I hear more about that. When I hear back I’ll update here.

2 Likes

There is currently a hack that seems to at least make the swap on the calendar. I don’t think we’ve seen whether this means the POL will play nice with AT, but it may be worth a try for those willing to experiment.

1 Like

Got my golden ticket overnight! thanks TR

6 Likes

I’m not the one who flagged your post. I think I get the point you were making.
Something along the lines of the meme about enjoying your ride and not knowing because you’re fitness tracker didn’t say.

It’s pretty funny though considering most of the people on here spend many months/years chipping away to make improvements.
Irony abounds. :grinning:

3 Likes

This is good news! Will definitely make more effort to associate my outdoor rides now.

Only issue I’ve had is I’ve tried to get the RPE based ones to go to my Garmin and they seem to take a little while to make it across to Connect, which makes it hard to just decide to do an outdoor workout on a whim.