Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

Looks like my HR data only outside workout also contributed to my endurance level, moving from 3.8 to 4.1.

@IvyAudrain - I am now in the AT beta (Yay!) and I have a question. I have been on a non-AT polarized training plan. When I went through the AT intro it recommended going into plan builder and redoing my plan. So, I did that and it came up with what looked like a standard plan with a lot of high intensity work. Is there a way to make it create a polarized plan? Or do I need to do that manually?

Just got my invitation this morning, and literally just emailed support the question about being in week 3 of the 6 week polarized base and how AT will handle that. I haven’t actually enrolled until I hear more about that. When I hear back I’ll update here.

2 Likes

There is currently a hack that seems to at least make the swap on the calendar. I don’t think we’ve seen whether this means the POL will play nice with AT, but it may be worth a try for those willing to experiment.

1 Like

Got my golden ticket overnight! thanks TR
IMG_5794

6 Likes

I’m not the one who flagged your post. I think I get the point you were making.
Something along the lines of the meme about enjoying your ride and not knowing because you’re fitness tracker didn’t say.

It’s pretty funny though considering most of the people on here spend many months/years chipping away to make improvements.
Irony abounds. :grinning:

3 Likes

This is good news! Will definitely make more effort to associate my outdoor rides now.

Only issue I’ve had is I’ve tried to get the RPE based ones to go to my Garmin and they seem to take a little while to make it across to Connect, which makes it hard to just decide to do an outdoor workout on a whim.

jealous!

While I appreciate the running total of people in the Beta, I cant help but think…I didn’t even make the TOP 1500! :joy: :rofl: :laughing: :rofl:

7 Likes

pls keep us posted, i’d be in a similar boat if i get in

Good question! Plan Builder is the only way to build custom plans right now, and Plan Builder does not build custom plans with polarized blocks at this point. Part of the goal with polarized plans is to get more data on how best to implement polarized training over the course of a season etc; in other words, how to most effectively include polarized blocks in custom plans.

Adaptive Training only works with custom plans, in terms of suggesting adaptations.
BUT if you’re only doing an ad-hoc polarized plan, you will still see surveys and still see your progression levels change. Every workout will count toward your progression levels. :+1:

4 Likes

I don’t understand how people can be so upset. They are not being charged extra for AT, the app still work as usual, they added more workouts to the library and we’ve been told it would be a slow process until everyone gets AT. Bottom line is the product is getting better at the same price. We just need to be a little patient.

16 Likes

Was this ride just associated with Andrews, or did you push the outdoor version of Andrews to your head unit and follow the workout outside? I thought that the only way to get an outdoor ride to count was to actually push it to a head unit and follow along.

Sorry to clarify yes that i pushed the outside workout to my garmin. but there are lots of endurance type workouts that are pretty similar to the majority of rides you will do outside I.e ride at RPE 6 for 90 mins. You can use the tss calculator as well which calculates the tss from your heart rate.

1 Like

Is there a timeframe by which one would expect to see adaptations? I failed a workout earlier today due to just plain being beat up from my last workout. I expect there will eventually be adaptations, but haven’t been prompted with any yet.

I’m planning on attempting a 5hr century in a few weeks and was looking at comparable workouts, I’ll be going with Highland +2 (level 9.5) , not currently recommended to me (I’m level 4.4 endurance but level 9.5 sweet spot, so obviously not worried lol)

I seem them typically upon completion of a workout. Make certain that your survey results got recorded into the workout. You can see the summary in the Career page of the web (if your screen is large enough), or the website viewing the workout, (there may be other ways). If that is missing, add it.

Other than that, I sometimes see one on the next day when opening my Career or Calendar on the web.

Quick update on this, it looks like if an athlete swaps out a block for a polarized block, then they will get polarized workouts adapted!

If you have swapped out a custom block with the method pictured below, the adaptations you are experiencing at this moment are not guaranteed to follow a polarized framework. These plans are still in their experimental phase and as such, we simply haven’t built for that edge case yet.
If you don’t mind the changes, then you are all set! If you want to maintain the polarized framework, I’d recommend you just add the block in an ad-hoc manner. For your case, being on a polarized plan means you’ll still see changes in your progression levels with AT, and be able to track how you feel via surveys.

5 Likes

I’m newly in the AT beta. Today I did an outdoor workout on my wahoo bolt which I’ve since discovered doesnt yet count towards my AT/progression. Howevery question is about the survey post workout as I received nothing to follow around completing a survey.

If I look ony ride via Android app (and any previous ones which were completed indoors via iPad) I can see ‘missing response’ under the workout which if I click it is asks how the ride felt but with no options visible, just save/cancel.

If I view the workouts on the webpage via my android device and click on the … there is an option to ‘update survey response’ which simply gives me the same question of how hard was the workout and a range of options but then no other questions at all. That’s it.

1 Like

@IvyAudrain how does AT treat outdoor workouts done by RPE? Does it just ignore them? Does it ask you if you were successful? Just it assume you were successful? Thanks!