Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

I’m sure someone said in here recently that if you swap out workouts in the plan or move workouts from one week to another then they’re not considered for adaptation but that was said to not be the case just now in the podcast live chat.

Here’s my current understanding, it might be wrong:

• If you move workouts in a Plan Builder plan, the workouts will be dissociated from the plan. If you try to make block-level changes afterwards (e.g. changing the days or volume), the workouts you moved will be ignored (and PB will probably try to restore them, so you’ll end up with duplicates).
  • AT won’t change future workouts that you manually scheduled (or dissociated from a plan). AT will adapt your Plan Builder plan based on any TR workouts you complete, whether Plan Builder put them there or not (with caveats for outside workouts and Wahoo and whatever).
3 Likes

There should be a pretty strong downward correlation between high threshold level and sweetspot, tempo, endurance. I.e., I would guess that a threshold 10 could do any sweetspot and lower zone workout in the catalog. But there are probably not upward correlations. Inotherwords, a sweet spot 10 does not necessarily mean a high threshold capability without training it up.

And I would also guess the correlations break down around threshold. So someone could be a 10 VO2 and not be able to do many threshold and sweet spot workouts without training them up.

That’s just speculation on my part though, and probably biased to my own experiences.

4 Likes

Yep. SS or VO2max workout with level 8 is doable no problem for me. Threshold level 8…uuuffff :sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

Excellent answer, thank you. I didn’t know about the secondary progressions but that answers my thoughts on how much ‘cross pollination’ there should be between zones. It also makes sense that rapid jumps are possible.

It all looks phenomenal.

1 Like

Hey I’m way up 1.6 on the threshold progression after I got a secondary progression bump lol

4 Likes

Anyone else’s survey responses out of order?

1 Like

yep! A few of us reported it in the other adaptive training thread this morning.

2 Likes

Indeed

1 Like

Yep, I do

There’s a reason why I did this ride which I won’t go into here but I’d have thought it may have prompted some sort of adaptation suggestion.

Any idea why it hasn’t?

I haven’t seen/heard anything about adding to workouts having an affect on AT. I’m not sure AT is programmed to handle additional z2 with multiple +10 extensions of “cool down”. Might have been better off ending the workout and then doing a z2 workout on top of that.

4 Likes

I was doing this session at the same time as doing a ride on RGT so wanted to end the ride in RGT at the same time.

TBH it’s not something I’m going to be doing very often so won’t be submitting a ticket or anything.

The screenshots explain why I did the session this way.

4 Likes

It was confirmed in one of the other threads that as mentioned above, extended cooldown time doesn’t currently feed into AT. So your ride would have been recognised as the original.

3 Likes

OK well that’s good to know, as I say I had a specific reason for doing the ride this way.

1 Like

Just got on to the beta - might now actually start having to pay attention to my training!
I know this has probably been asked as hundred times at least, but is there an FAQ for the AT beta?
I don’t really want to pepper the forum with loads of questions that have probably been asked before (such as do I really need to do a ramp/FTP test?) and the various AT threads are now so huge that they are too difficult to read through

Good for you… Patience is starting to wear thin here after nearly 3 months :slight_smile: I’m cosidering stopping listening to the podcast where they keep saying how great AT is…

Maybe the TR team should take themselves out of AT and add themselves to the waiting list, just so we are all in the same boat :grinning:

11 Likes

3 months of waiting here too.

I was waiting eagerly since day 1 as well but the release of the new plans have scratched that itch. For now I’m happy to be going through the plans and having a more polished AT.

If it weren’t for the new plans however (I found the old to be unsustainable, especially Gen Build) I would be chomping at the bit for AT.

4 Likes

Not yet :sob: There are a bunch of articles on the blog (listed in this post and this one), and a list of known issues at https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059656131-Adaptive-Training-Known-Issues.

Yes, you need to keep testing. The TR team has an interval version of AT that does automatic FTP estimation based on performance, but it’s not part of the beta.

1 Like