Adaptive Training Closed Beta Update

If there is a goal, you need a way to get there. A training plan is a way to do that. But understanding the goal (like an A- event or even something as simple as doing a “Base”), is a necessity. So we set that via Plan Builder by adding events or selecting a general focus.

Once that is done, “the plan” uses whatever magic TR assigns for the types of workouts to reach that goal (VO2, Thresh, etc.) and the progression from week to week, in order to hopefully meet that goal.

As such, having a populated calendar is essential, IMO. Maybe people ignore the stuff more than a week out, and that is fine if they do. Considering what we expect in the end case with AT, the plan is expected to change frequently and throughout the duration.

I don’t see a problem with the workouts changing 2-20 weeks out… It may seem odd for those looking that far, but the changes are made in light of recent progress, with aims of hitting that goal again. Adapting to our pure performance, as well as sickness, interruptions and the like are all part of the long term process like this.

It’s essentially what many coaches already do, even if they don’t actually share the long term planning with the athlete. In this case, TR is sharing the entire road map for the athlete, even though it is malleable to meet the rider and plan as needed.

6 Likes

Default setup is to have the AT to signal the potential for adaptations:

You can review those and choose to accept or deny those adaptations:

OR… somewhere there is also a setting to just accept any/all adaptations when offered and you won’t even be prompted.

So you can choose your level of interraction.

1 Like

I love this!

I have no interest in looking and how much i will suffer in 5 weeks…

1 Like

AH I see…
but to have this… I need to be on the cool group of AT beta users…
If i am not there…then the plan is cookie cut for me… correct?

Ignorance is bliss, so you can simple stick with the “Career” page and ignore the “calendar” unless adding things like new events, sickness or time off, after completing the initial Plan Builder.

4 Likes

Oh man!!!

this is like 90% of what I expected!
I am even more pumped about getting into the beta!!

1 Like

Right, only current AT beta users will have this right now. I thought we were talking future case or general.

As of now, without AT, you get the default plans added and can modify manually, just like we have always had the option to do.

1 Like

I have updated mine but it has a frustrating bug. In TrainNow it overlays the endurance and climbing suggestions on top of each other so the endurance option is hidden.

@mcneese.chad I like your progression chart. Mine actually looks like a big middle finger (aka, I love me some sweet-spot work.)

3 Likes

LOL, mine is a mess and not really accurate now. My VO2 and Threshold are lower than they should be. I broke the association on two weeks of workouts for them, so they are really lacking.

Yours looks nice and balanced :smiley:

2 Likes

As long as you dont share how many users TR has, then this is true.
Once is out of BETA, then it will be 100% of TR users…

:man_shrugging:

Mine is about right for me lol (although my endurance is actually in the 7 range, I did an unstructured 3.5hr z2 ride with a buddy that’s not captured in the progressions just yet)

I updated my plan today.
The cycling WO changed as expected… but something that DIDN’T change was the swim and run wo…

this Saturday the plan had Pioneer and Brick Workout (Pioneer + 20min Transition Run)
Now the week is rest week with Echo -4 and Brick Workout (Pioneer + 20min Transition Run)

My point is there is some little work to be made on the running aspect of the tri plans…

• Somewhere they said that only bike parts of the Tri plans are altered, so that is correct for now.
2 Likes

AH!

There are too many threads about all this AT and beta stuff… hard to keep up!

thanks!

2 Likes

Ditto, I would normally link to it, but it’s too darn hard to find right now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha that’s how I feel. It’s hard to keep up with all the updates. Especially since I have zero interest in beta testing or navigating the bugs. I just want TR to tell me what to do and I’ll smash pedals :laughing:

5 Likes

100% this is how I feel…

9 Likes

I’m not in the beta and very excited to try it, thanks for sharing your progression levels. I had a couple of questions after looking through the workout levels and trying to guess my own chart.

First, if your SS progression level is 7.9 would your threshold level really be just 1.5? I’m wondering if the data are almost too granular based on individual zones and what workouts you do to feed the algorithm. Would a threshold workout with a level of 2.5 not be quite easy for you?

Second and related, how fast does the ML algorithm update your personal levels? If you for example tried a threshold workout with a level of 5 and completed it comfortably, would you expect your threshold progression to jump up to that or does the ML model need more convincing?

Thanks!

Progression Levels are based upon some amount of history (not sure exactly how long). If you have not had “recent” workouts in that training zone, it’s possible and likely the related Progression Level will be low.

That doesn’t mean there is no association between adjacent zones, but it seems that TR is splitting them to a degree. This may change a bit with the debut of the Secondary Progression Levels moving forward. Those may serve to bridge the gaps that seem apparent right now.

Changes can happen VERY fast. If you complete a workout that is well above your current Progression Level, especially if you rate it at something like a 1-Easy or 2-Moderate, it will make LARGE jumps in PL.

Here is a VO2 with Workout Level of 5.8, that I did starting with a Progression Level of 1.6 for VO2. I even rated the workout 3-Hard and still got a massive bump in the VO2 PL. So changes can be big depending on all the related factors.

3 Likes