About to finish off a base>build>specialty progression, what next?

Hey all,

I’m nearly complete with the polarized base > polarized build> Specialty road race progression. Where do I go from here?

I don’t have any races planned for the foreseeable future. Just looking to continue to go faster!

I have seen some great increases from TR. Averaging a 15% FTP increase during each block. Sitting around 4.2 w/kg. Hoping to be at 5 w/kg by next season. I haven’t started weight training. Would now be a good time to mix that into my TR schedule?

Should I take a week off then do it all over again?

I don’t have any races planned for the foreseeable future. Just looking to continue to go faster!

With you mentioning that you are looking at higher performance next season, I think including another round of base could be beneficial

Base will not necessarily provide a path to faster gains in nominal FTP, but it makes larger contributions for future years. Suggest trying different base (non-Polarised).

When I get to that point, I’m planning on doing my own little 4 day stage race on Zwift to knock off some of the longer routes.

Then I’ll take at least a week off completely.

Then a week just riding for fun as I feel like it.

Then back into base.

2 Likes

A 52% increase from your initial FTP is pretty impressive, but don’t expect it to keep increasing at the same rate.

I love this idea! You peak for this “A race” and then take a week off as a nice reward for all your hard work.

2 Likes

I see no great motivation in doing 28 weeks of work - albeit fun work - just to increase a couple of training metrics. Bumping numbers up is great, but I’m not sure it’s enough.