A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

Hi all! Anyone tried the Quoc Gran Tourer shoes on the M-Force 8 body to see if the shoes need to be trimmed?

Just bought a DuoShi kit. Thanks to this thread, I now know that the m520 is one option for dual-sided SPD cleats.

I have a set of m8000s – any knowledge of if those might be compatible, or the newer m8100?

1 Like

Are 520s compatible with the duo shi? I don’t remember seeing that. If they are, that’s fantastic value.

Yes they are. Took me 30 minutes to install (because I was watching The Office at the same time :wink:).

2 Likes

Super easy, but is it accurate? Mine were way off so I reverted back.

Well, first I installed it on my road bike because it has a Power2Max installed. Then I did a short ride and used the DC Rainmaker tool. It showed almost the same graph for both power meters.

Based on those results I moved the pedals to my MTB bike, confident that it is accurate.

On both installations I followed the instructions to the letter, including some intense pedalling with calibration before and after.

2 Likes

If one was to buy the shi version then do a mtb pedal conversion that would mean you get even greater q factor right?

Pardon for not reading through the 600+ posts, but can anyone tell me if I can take a spindle from the M Force 4 pedal and put it into the Thrust 8 CR pedal? Both are three bearing pedals.

If so I can move the Assioma to my M Force, then swap the M Force Ti spindle to the Thrust and have a Thrust Ti road pedal and a Gravel PM pedal.

Thanks

I run my stock Assiomas on the mountain bike, and use road shoes. Is there any reason why that is not a good idea, and why do people want to use SPD?

It depends how much walking you’re doing. Road shoes/cleats don’t do very well if you’re walking across rocky ground. SPD are recessed cleats and a more durable.

7 Likes

I bought the assioma shi and shimano spd m520 pedals but of course no one has the stupid little plastic tool to undo the spindles in the mtb pedals so hopefully I can get them out without that. Can’t wait to try them on my gravel bike.
I wish I could use them with my xt trail pedals

Amazon!

1 Like

Rocks, mud, water, sand, just to name a few. When you bail on a difficult and slippery rock section, or have to hike the bike through mud or sand, or across a running stream, road cleats are SLIPPERY and road shoes are very stiff. You’re also going to have a very hard time clipping in/out with a road pedal that’s caked in mud or sand. I would flip that question and ask why you would run road shoes/pedals?

4 Likes

I looked at that but turns a $1.69 tool into a $17 tool here in Australia

Where have you guys gotten a 9mm socket that works for this? I have tried two different ones I have and neither will fit.

Mine came in a really cheap-arse socket set from a hardware store… ‘SupaTool’… so cheap they didn’t spend a lot of time on the name.

You should be able to take the pedal in and find a single socket that’ll fit at any good hardware store.

1 Like

Did it with some Issi pedals today. Size 40EU doesn’t rub!

Is there any way these can work with assioma shi?

1 Like

Hello,
I am wondering if i can use the assioma duo shi with a set of shimano PD-M540. instead of the officially supported road PD-R540?
are there substanctial differences between both pedals which prevent the use of the assioma duo shi?

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I happened to notice the other day that the SRM X-Power power meter pedal comes in a flat pedal version.

…Of course, it’s an insane $1500.

1 Like