A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

Agree it would be nice if the pod was completely protected. But I used platform adaptors before, and that made it feel really sketchy with the high stack height (the small platform size might not have helped). Was about 5mm thick, and had 1mm clearance above the pod. Got it closer with some filing and different cleats, but still felt weird (xpedo vs look cleats I checked had about 0.5mm difference if I recall correctly)

Rode my newer version which are longer. Wasn’t using my 5-10’s, but as usual with flat pedals, found my feet gravitating outwards. Wanted to try the 5-10s, but then crashed, so going to stay off the bike/unicycle for a few days.
This version seems plenty long now, but I might try another 1cm later.

Had two ideas to protect the pod:

1. use the innermost pin holes and attach something. 2 longer M4 bolts pictured below. Maybe with a cylindrical post being compressed by the bolts, it will be strong enough, but doubt it.

2. extra large crank boot. I was going to try to 3d print one to protect the pod from rock strikes anyways, so might try something that wraps around the pod partially. That way, during part of the pedal rotation, it’d bump my foot away if it starts to get too close.

I’m also not too worried about durability from my foot occasionally hitting it. My cleat bolts hit the pod when I frantically try to clip in sometimes. Can see some decent marks from those instances…

2 Likes

I have had a few rock strikes on my SPD hack Assiomas and they have held up, knock on wood. But cleat/rock strikes are compressive loads and shoe rub is torsional. Epoxy holds up well to compression but not torsion. That’s my concern.

The crank boot sounds like a winner.

So I tried Shimano PD-ES600 bodies with a pair of Assiomas Shi. The non threaded part of the axle is around 7mm longer on the Assioma, solved with 3 rubber O rings (14mmx2.50mm, even though the axle is actually 16mm in diameter). The thread is the the same for (probably) all Shimano pedals. Looking at the exploded views for the Shimano pedals (SPD), I think a better fit would be with the PD-EH500 or PD-ED500.

5 Likes

What’s the q-factor increase with this conversion? MTB cranks are already wide, the DUO-Shi pushing that out further again would be suboptimal.

1 Like

I’m using this on a road bike and the PD-ES600 are road bike pedals with spd. The Q factor increase is around the 7mm from the original pedals (I think it’s even less that the original 1cm increase from the usual conversion). It would probably be similar for some MTB XT pedals which seem to have a similar axle.
Comparing the 2 axels, there is a bit of an empty area on the PD-ES600 that can be filled by the Assioma module. With a proper shimano adapter from Favero to shorter offset axels, I think it’s possible to get no Q factor increase at all.

1 Like

Checking again the specs for Assioma Duo Shi (https://cycling.favero.com/shop/assioma-duo-shi), there is an accepted Q factor increase which seems to be in the same range as my conversion (6-7mm). When pedaling I had no issue with the Q factor change.

I’m thinking with a shorter Q factor, even if possible, the shoe will touch the sensor, so its ok as it is now.

Any reports of XT pedal body and if it works with the Shimano Assioma pedal?

Looks to be the same issue with the M-Force 4. What other options do we have for this mod?

These work well

Thanks for that :+1:

Although they don’t seem to be in stock either on that website - it says 20 in stock but each of the 4 colour option return and “out of stock” :man_shrugging:

The iSSi Flash III make a great mod. Shimano cleats work with them.`

`

1 Like

Can’t find them in stock anywhere either :joy::joy::joy: f***ing covid.

Two hits on AliExpress. Never ordered from the stores and this is from the one that open longer and have more following. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003114863147.html

The iSSi Flash III or the Xpedo? If it’s iSSi, I have two unused sets of iSSi Flash III that I could make available.

Contact a company called Forerunner 3D. They are in Wisconsin. Not sure how cheap it would be but may be a new start up business if that’s what you are looking for….

Dorindark,

Would you be so kind to verify some measurements of your Duo’s?

Here are some photos of the latest gen XTR pedal axle assemblies.

It looks like they have a internal spacer that can be removed or modified.

Thank you

Not sure why overall length was cut off but it’s 85.7mm

I can confirm the Duo-Shi fit nicely on PD-EH500, no O-rings required.

2 Likes

I have manage to install both NXS pedals and Baldwin pedals on the assioma successfully and these are my findings,

1. Xpedo NXS require trimming of the pedal body to fit the pod of the assioma, I file it down to make it fit. Then I added 1mm (10mm diameter) crank arm washer from Aliexpress which combine with the o-ring made the bearing more element resistant.

2. Baldwin is much more straightforward, just crank it down with the 1mm washer and its fine. Both wouldn’t work with the original washer as everyone mentioned here.

For the Shimano spindles, looking at the part number from the Shimano exploded views of the compatible pedals on Favero’s site and doing a cross-ref search at SJS Cycles, this is a listing of what pedals might make suitable conversion candidates (for the SHIMANO Favero spindles).

Favero Shimano spindles (l/r p/n) Compatibility based on lists from SJS Cycles

R7000** **YL8G98030 40
no others listed

**R550 Y43Z13100 Y43Z14100

• - Shimano SPD PD-M536
  • - Shimano SLX SPD PD-M530
  • - Shimano SPD PD-M515
  • - Shimano SPD PD-M424
  • Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL PD-6700
  • Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL PD-6620
  • Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL PD-6610
  • Shimano 105 SPD-SL PD-5700
  • Shimano 105 SPD-SL PD-5610
  • Shimano 105 SPD-SL PD-5600
  • - Shimano SPD PD-A530
  • - Shimano SPD PD-A520
  • - Shimano SPD/Flat PD-EH500
  • - Shimano SPD PD-ED500
  • - Shimano Click’R PD-MT50
  • Shimano SPD-SL PD-RS500
  • Shimano SPD-SL PD-R670
  • Shimano SPD-SL PD-R550
  • Shimano SPD-SL PD-R540
  • - Shimano SPD-R PD-R535
  • - Shimano Click’R/Flat PD-T421
  • - Shimano Click’R PD-T420
  • - Shimano Click’R PD-T400

R540 Y45F98020 30
Shimano SPD-SL PD-RS500
Shimano SPD-SL PD-R550

R8000 YL8B98050 60
Spindle can also be used on 6800 pedal

R6800 Y46N98070 80
No others listed

11/20/22: Additional known pedals to add to “will work”
PD M8000 (XT pedal)
PD A600 (SPD on one side), makes a nice light single SPD side gravel pedal with the SHI DUO spindles.
PD M959

4 Likes