A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

you can use a screw driver from other side (outer side) of pedal and drive/tap (small hammer or something small to tap with) them out slowly (there should be a lip, bearing’s ID is smaller than housing) and move screwdriver tip from one side to other side of bearing with alternating taps.

I been playing and up graded to newer bearings just a few days ago.

Just be carefull, firm and not too rough with pedal housings in a vise. since you’re tossing older bearings it’s not a big deal if you screw them up.

Ok so i tapped one out with a screwdriver, but the other the inner race came out instead… Now I’ve still got the outer race stuck in there and can’t get enough leverage from the other side. So now I will have to dremel the leftover off, which is what i had to do with the other pedal that disintegrated.

$230 AUD + $50 on the new bearings, too invested in this to abandon now!

IMG_3666 (Small)

UPDATE: In the end I did have to dremel the outer races off both pedals. Got it in the end! New bearings in and no play, just like new.

1 Like

did an ebay search on “3 bearing pedal” and saw this for $38:

…odds of these working?

Is there like a list of compatible pedals for favero assioma use? Look X-track maybe?
Xpedo seems to be a bit expensive.

1 Like

Does anyone have NukeProof pedals and the original Assioma spindles available? There are some of these look like they MIGHT be a candidate for a flat pedal solution. Components - Pedals – Nukeproof Bikes

To add to the DUO SHI list, the XT M8000 pedals will work.
Also have recently converted some PD A600 and M959 pedals.

5 Likes

Sorry no good at quoting. A few people mentioned using the left spindle only (way cheap that full pedal set) and just using the spd pedals to do the hack. Did it work?

1 Like

M8100 as well, just tried this myself.

5 Likes

Trying to decide between garmin xc 200 and the Favero hack, is the garmin worth the few extra hundred?

I tried the XT PD M8000 & it didn’t work. The Favero axle doesn’t thread all the way in, it leaves a 1/4 gap.
Got the PD M520’s & it was a straight swap.

I ended up cutting 2 mm of the body of the pedals (the open end where the axle threads) to minimize the extra length created by the Favero pods, worked OK as well.

2 Likes

Hi SpeedyChix, about your adaptation on favero Duo-shi with a PD EH500 pedal… Have you had to apply any modification or just connect as one of those informed for favero as compatible?

Just the spindle swap. No modification is needed.

2 Likes

If you have used this setup for mtb. How have they held up with pedal strikes? Also what is the best pedal to use for the conversion.

1 Like

Gplama has a video on how to convert them into spd. I have been doing it for awhile and works well.

I’ve been using mine on my MTB for over a year now (regular Assiomas, not Duo Shi, with Xpedo pedal bodies). The pod has some scrapes from pedal strikes on rocks, but that hasn’t impacted functionality at all. I use them on my trainer bike too. I was a little concerned at first that they wouldn’t hold up well, and I wouldn’t use them for any truly gnarly descending (not the riding I do anyhow), but for XC riding here in CO, I’ve had no issues.

1 Like

What are the lightest pedal bodies that fit the original assiomas?

Likely the Xpedo M-Force 8… if you can find them.

The Shimano PD M424 (SPD with outer resin cage) appears to have the same spindle as the M520 so might be an option for those wanting something different. Yet to receive my Duo Shi’s so will test for pod/shoe clearance when they arrive.

1 Like

I disassembled my Exustar E-PM222 pedals. They appear to be very similar to the M-force 8’s from Expedo. Could someone give me some measurements from the Favero axle? The Exustar axle is 50mm long from the seal and 10mm in diameter at the seal.

Hey there!

Going to buy DUO-SHI and install PD-A600 bodies.

Is there any succsess story except Post #731?