A way to change the app's distance or speed (which are related) for a given wattage?

I noticed today that TrainerRoad claims I was rolling along at 26 or 27 MPH when holding something like 185 watts, lol. This, of course, made Strava read that I did the work of riding 25 miles in an hour, lol(!!).

Heck, if I could expend only 185 watts and maintain 26 or 27 MPH, my sprints at 1000 watts would be legendary.

I take it that some setting needs to be adjusted with the app. IIRC, I went for the suggested wheel diameter during the normal set-up (at least I think it may have asked me that) - though I’m on a KICKR5, so no rear wheel used, just the cassette. My weight is correct. It did not ask me for my height I don’t think - taller people being less aero and all that.

Any suggestions?

All the best.

This is the related article that covers this common question / observation:

For future reference, there is a pending feature that should allow for a new option, and potentially “better” speed & distance data.

Related discussion on this in a very wide way, as well as the foundation for the pending feature mentioned above.

2 Likes

umm, change gears?

ERG mode, so does it really matter which gear I’m in?

In ERG mode I go for a straight chainline from the big ring.

I edited my wheel diameter to be a smaller wheel. Hopefully this will read out as a fast-spinning, smaller tire that isn’t going as far per revolution.

Thank you!

I edited my wheel diameter to be a smaller wheel. Hopefully this will read out as a fast-spinning, smaller tire that isn’t going as far per revolution.

That’s a whole different discussion and one that is full of opinions too. We have a lengthy thread that covers just about every angle possible.

1 Like

In that case you have options.

The kickr has an option to base speed on power rather than flywheel speed… far more realistic.

The setting to turn it on is found on the wahoo app. The name of the function is terrible - you don’t need to be using erg mode.

Turn power smoothing off while you’re there - it’s the devil’s work.

2 Likes

Ooh, I’m reading that one now - thank you!

1 Like

Well, I’ll call myself strong-headed and write “thank you.”

I did finally try downshifting and using the smaller front ring. Everything is smoother, and doing the workouts seems better. Thank you!

2 Likes