150 miles, pretzels and zone 3?

Hi all, I’m planning 150 mile ride this upcoming Saturday. I did a casual century about a year ago, and have been training on TR, although not specifically for a long endurance event. My FTP is 3 watts/kg. This would be a solo Misogi type endeavour. I just want to do something hard.

Course will have aprox 3,000 ft of elevation, and will be relatively cool day with predicted low temps in the high 40’s and the high at 66 degrees. Will be on a gravel bike doing a combination of road and gravel rail trail sections.

Three questions:

Nutrition - I’m planning on doing gels using 50g carbs gels on the hour. I want to supplement with something else. I had considered drink mix, and bars, but then read that pretzels may be a good option? It’s attractive as something salty, and crunchy is appealing for a long ride. Thoughts on this?

Since it will be a cool day how much hydration would you recommend?

Zone 3 - My plan is to stick to Zone 2 but when climbing it feels super slow to stay in Zone 2. Is it a mistake to peak into Zone 3 on those climbs?

Thanks for any help.

3000ft in 150miles is railroad track flat. What kind of length/gradient climbs are on the route?

I would use all the options. Variety is the spice of life. For pretzels I like the ones with peanut butter filling.
Have fun out there.
:+1:

Elevation is mostly in the first fifty miles, shorter and punchier New England stuff. Say 1/8 to 1/3 of a mile in length.

Peanut butter in pretzels??? whoa, will have to check out.

Last summer I found time to do a little longer one - My little brevet :) | Strava Was trying to stick to zone 2, but didnt really bother doing the occasional climbs in a higher zone. Ate pretty much all my bars and gels 2/3 of the way and the rest I was feeding myself with whatever fast sugar gas station stuff I could find. I finished at home with 270km only because it was getting dark, I had enough power to do another 30km (to round it up to 300) comfortably. I would recommend fuelling a lot with anything that gives you the carbs and does not upset your stomach.