Professional triathlete and IRONMAN commentator, Matt Lieto, and your podcast hosts recorded a special episode to chop up Grinduro, one of the most interesting races on the calendar that you need to know about, and their preparation for one of the toughest climbs on earth, Mauna Kea.
Topics covered in this episode
- Triathlon and gravel racing
- A triathlete’s take on The Downieville Classic
- What makes Downieville unique
- Why training with bigger tires can make you faster on race day
- The thing you should focus on in technical terrain
- How triathletes can get more comfortable on the bike
- What is Grinduro?
- A new racing format we should all know about.
- Race strategy for Grinduro
- How to pace yourself during Grinduro
- What gearing to use for Grinduro?
- Which bike is best for Grinduro?
- Nutrition tips for Grinduro
- What you need to know before racing Grinduro
- Paceline etiquette
- Raceday morning mistakes to avoid
- Why Chad dropped Nate at Grinduro
- A trick to getting faster Grinduro stage times
- Pros chasing KOMs in The Tour of California
- How triathletes have an advantage over cyclists
- How to prepare for the longest climb in the world
- What you need to know before climbing Mauna Kea
- What gearing is best for Mauna Kea
- What clothing do you need to bring for Mauna Kea
- How to pace yourself for Mauna Kea
- How to pace yourself in high elevation
- Feeding strategies for Mauna Kea
- Do you need ride support for Mauna Kea?
- How to avoid dehydration when climbing Mauna Kea
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.
Share this Post