Zwift for Free?

Is that true, that every calendar month Zwift lets non-subscribers have a free 25km trial? (which you can do 25x1km rides, or you could do a ride that is longer than 25km if it’s all one ride?).

I thought it was a one time 25km free deal, and to reset to get another 25km, you’d either have to join for a month and then cancel, or have multiple email addresses?

Funny I always pair to Zwift first via ANT+ and then to TR second via BT when I have TR control my workouts. Hasn’t missed a beat yet

3 Likes
  • Very true, direct from Zwift:

Q: What if I want to try Zwift again—but am not ready to become a member just yet?

A: No worries, we’ve got you covered. On the 1st of every month, we’ll give you another chance to try Zwift with another 25km (15.5mi).

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/free-trial-faq-S1gAkG6PI

2 Likes

That is very interesting. I will have to make use of that when I’m deep into TR, but want a once a month Zwift event or race. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m totally not answering your question here and sorry for that. However running TR on the laptop and Zwift on my big TV is great. I just need something to look at. Just need 2 ANT adapters. It’s easy to setup.

I had no idea there was a free 25km per month for Zwift.

My club does a Saturday virtual group ride (due to you know what). As I’ve no desire tp pay for Zwift and not really fussed about a virtual group ride, I never thought I’d be able to join it.

Now, if there is a free ride per month, I can join up and get on a group ride. I’ll need to read the instructions on how to Zwift/TR together before Saturday

2 Likes

Couple of related guides, if you need to know how to join group events:

1 Like

Yup…same.

4 Likes

Yeah, my point here was mostly around conversation of BT channels. The exact order doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Interesting, I might try it again over Christmas as I have feeling in my fingertips again (post chemo). That put me off it before. Even though I am still not sure about all this button pressing in the middle of a workout or the Tronlike bike handling :thinking:

My experience (Win10 PC) is that TR hogs both ANT+ and BT if I start it first, even if I just connect BT devices to it. Zwift appears not to block BT if you connect only ANT+ devices. I still have sometimes (like this morning at 5h30, $&#@) Zwift still trying to control the trainer, have to stop, go back to devices, disconnect the trainer, put it back in, let it grab control, drop the trainer control, and go.

Are you trying to run both Zwift & TR on the same machine? I run TR on BT on my iPad and Zwift via ANT+ on my PC laptop. Never had any issues.

Yes, both on the same machine. That’s the only way one app can grab both channels.

3 Likes

Hi, Everyone! I appreciate all the input so far. I just wanted to update this thread with my findings.

Since I last posted, I subscribed to Zwift for 2 months using gift money from Christmas. During that time, I utilized Zwift and TrainerRoad simultaneously. I found that bouncing between the two apps made indoor training more enjoyable but quickly discovered that Zwift interfered with my TR plan. Here’s me doing a Zwift race after a Ramp Test, then switching a TR recovery ride for another Zwift race. The following TR workout, Avalanche Spire, ate me alive.

Anyway, after my Zwift subscription expired, I decided to go back to my once-a-month Zwift-for-free race. Although I haven’t found a race that’s exactly 25km, I found that doing a quick crit race, then a recovery ride, to be a satisfying way to use Zwift for free. It seems if you run out of your free 25km during a race or workout, it’ll allow you to finish and save the activity. When I ran out of free KMs during a recovery workout, this prompt appeared:

I noticed that my workout did not stop while the prompt was on my screen, and after I clicked ‘Not Now,’ I was able to complete my workout and save it. When I jumped back into Zwift and attempted to do a free ride, it seems I was able to ride around without any interruptions. The only thing I noticed was that the race list was missing, which is understandable.

I do like Zwift, and I’d like to do a race a week, but I cannot justify paying for two cycling platforms at once - especially if I’m using Zwift a few times a month. But yeah, if I find anything else interesting while using Zwift for free, I’ll let you guys know.

Is there anyone else who uses Zwift for free? If so, how do you use your free 25km?

1 Like

Within the Mac version of TrainerRoad you can choose to turn off Bluetooth. I find this works great as TR will never try and connect to anything other than through ANT+ and doesn’t disturb Zwift using Bluetooth.

1 Like

This is awesome to know. I’ve been wanting to do a Z race every now and then but didn;t want to pay. I assume I can drop into a 45min - 1hr race and have no issue?

Yeah I’m just using zwift once a month for free now. I used to pay for both TR and zwift but found I was only doing 1 or 2 rides a month on zwift anyway so not to much of a change dropping down to 1 a month.

Like previous posters I do races as it lets you finish the event even if more than 25km - if you really want to get your (no) money’s worth you can do one ride less than 25km early in the month and use the remaining few km to enter a race another day - which you will be able to finish regardless of distance.

If zwift offered a pay as you go option I’d pay for it.

1 Like

I didn’t renew my Zwift sub over summer, and did two free rides a month instead. Up AdZ on Day 1 (less than 25km but a good training) and then whatever took my fancy distance wise on Day 2

3 Likes

If you want to find a 25km race just look at the list in Events

1 Like