Would Knowing Your Exact VO2 Max, AeT, AT, and MLSS Change Your Training

I was tested for VO2 Max, aerobic threshold, anaerobic threshold, and maximal lactate steady state. The test come back with numbers for ml 02/kg/min for each and HR at each.

Should this effect my training (should I alter the TR workouts in any way) or are these numbers just things to monitor to assess improvement?

Any input is appreciated.

Will

Was the test done on a treadmill or bicycle? If on a bicycle did you get power as well as heart rate? Also are a multi-sport athlete?

1 Like

Yes, if you plan on re-testing.
No, if you won’t be re-testing.

1 Like

I did it on a treadmill. The tester said the treadmill version is more accurate than the cycling version for most people. The logic was that the cycling test could be limited by muscle strength as opposed to aerobic capacity.

Calling me any sort of athlete would probably be a misnomer. But yes, I tend to run and lift as much as I ride the bike. I will be competing in a triathlon later this year (need to get better at swimming).

And I will be retesting. I did this because the three people I’m doing the triathlon with are all a bit more serious about this kind of thing and track these numbers fairly religiously. They invited me to join them. I think I’ll be testing these numbers every two months.

How can I use these numbers to maximize the benefits of my TR workouts?

Also, somewhat relatedly, is there a way to “convert” TR workouts to running workouts? In other words, find how the wattages correspond the HR, and go on a run that follows the target HRs?

Running numbers should be used for running. You need cycling numbers with power if you want to use them for cycling.

3 Likes

I did a similar test but did it on a bike and therefore got my power outputs at the different levels. This was absolutely useful as it starkly demonstrated my weaknesses (aerobic power) and how to address them.

As it was explained to me the numbers (mlO2/kg/min) are not that interesting but the power outputs definitely are. In particular what percentage of my VO2 max power I can sustain aerobically and for an hour (roughly my FTP). An elite endurance rider might be able to put out 75% of their max power aerobically and that is what distinguishes them, not how much Oxygen they can utilize.

If I had the money I would test again. Super helpful but not cheap.

1 Like