Worldwide Disaster 2019, The Official Launch!

That’s probably the best option.

I think the general opinion is treat it like a B race. You probably want to taper (at least some) the week leading in and plan for at least two full days of recovery for the full version. I did -2 after a week of taper (did it Saturday), did nothing Sunday and Monday (maybe Lazy Mountain on the Sunday) and felt fine for the Tuesday workout.

1 Like

I tell a lie!

Here was my lead-up and follow on to Disaster -2 last year.

2 Likes

Here was my Disaster time last year. Easy lead in from sickness, then into a regular training week (after a full rest day following D-2).

1 Like

Curious what people do on these extra long rides to (a) refill bottles and (b) use the restroom**…? I was on a 3-hour group ride on Zwift last week—my longest trainer ride ever—and I was able to last on 3 bottles (2 on bike, 1 in jersey) and had to the go to the restroom near the last 30 mins, but made it without stopping. No way I could have made it another 1.5 hours.

Did people take short breaks (< 3 mins) during last year’s Disaster ride to refill bottles and use the restroom?

(**And no, I’m not going to piss myself on a trainer… no way! I’ve done that in a triathlon and that was awkward, but didn’t have much of a choice then. Not doing it on the trainer.)

4 Likes

Comfort brakes as required, roll on the big D

1 Like

Ouch, 3,800 calories - I need to think about this a bit - might join you guys this year but will depend how motivated I am feeling about 2020 race results

1 Like

The user guide, An Unofficial Guide to Disaster, v2.0, covers these topics and refers to locations (Questions) in the 2018 Disaster Results Survey where users provide what they did for rest, nutrition, (and lots more!)

7 Likes

Wow. This is awesome. And I’m so not doing it.

5 Likes

Definitely get off for comfort breaks. I got off the bike twice for nature breaks, but had my SO resupply bottles and food as needed.

1 Like

The best part about is the fact that I was able to eat two dinners totally guilt free after. :rofl:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Sounds awesome. Out of curiosity, is “Disaster” a workout that is actually recommending in any training plans? (I don’t see that it is), and then if not, when would one use this in their own training? Or is it more just something that people do more as a “feat”?

It’s almost certainly not in any training plan. I believe Coach Chad said he created it just to see what the TSS would look like on a kitchen sink type workout.

It’s a feat, to be sure. I would also say it’s a great test. The date was chosen last year as it coincided with the end of my base phase and it helped inform me where my weaknesses were so I could better choose a build plan. I really suffered on the VO2 work so targeted that into the build phase.

But yes. It’s very, very hard. A workout to be proud you’ve done.

2 Likes

You can check the workout page to see it’s not on any plan. All plans that include the given workout are listed on the right. Neither is any of the variations used. Looks like an absolutely massive effort. Advertised by event promoters as good in any phase and type of a training plan, but perhaps in none at all :slight_smile: If I were to ever do it, it would be for my ego. Turning 40 in a couple of years, so never say never…

1 Like

4 Likes

Yes, feel free to take a nature break, grab food, fill bottles, stretch and whatever you need to do.

This is meant as a “challenge” but not pure punishment. No stones will be thrown for taking breaks and no rewards for skipping them.

Many people may be heading past their prior time on a trainer with even the Disaster -2 version. As such we want to encourage people to do what they need to do to take on any version they choose.

1 Like

Keep in mind the “minus” versions. I originally made Disaster -2 (duplicating and then cutting from the original) in an effort to make a “practice” workout. People liked the idea enough that Cameron made the Disaster -1 version.

Then and now, we encourage people to take on any version that suits their current fitness, training plan calendar or taste for a challenge. Many of us (me included D-2) did the minus versions for last year and it great to take part in the process with everyone else (no matter which version they did).

The challenge exists in all versions and the ability to push through a wide range of systems in a single workout is a treat.

3 Likes

Its an epic day on the trainer, pick your variant, full D or - versions. Chat online is highly enetraining

3 Likes

This was totally true. The chat in the Discord group was helpful for motivation and planning for the different sections. We even had people use it during the week when they did their “early” efforts.

Edit to add: I remember we even had some playlist suggestions for particular segments. All good stuff and I also remember the “shock and awe” when I shared my in ride pic in full length winter beard weather… caught some funny comments :stuck_out_tongue:

I will have that channel and a “Live” thread going so we can keep each other informed and motivated through the week.

This “community” aspect was hugely motivational to many people last year and I expect it to grow this year. :smiley:

7 Likes

I am in.

Booked the time off from kids with the wife. I cant wait. I love a challenge. Can we work out what the main time is in Australia that people are doing it so we can join in the chat.

3 Likes