Workout Creator - countdown beeps

Simple question: When creating a workout in Workout Creator, is there a way to include the countdown beeps (3, 2, 1…) at the end of each segment? I did try starting with an existing workout, but somehow still lost those beeps.

1 Like

Hey there! Are you still hearing beeps on the not-custom workouts?
I just tested this with a custom workout and still got the countdown beeps, for both existing and new intervals.

1 Like

I use the workout creator all the time. I get the countdown beeps as well as the little noise notifying me when there’s workout text on the screen. (Yes, I put workout text in my custom workouts, usually relating to cadence.) The beeps only start on intervals above a certain percentage of your FTP. For easy intervals, you don’t get the beeps. I don’t remember where the threshold is for beep/no beep. Is your computer on mute? Sometimes something weird happens on one of my computers and I lose all sound–it’s like the computer loses the driver for the sound card and I have to reboot (or sometimes reinstall the driver…).

1 Like

Thank you dhellman. I think you nailed it. I am playing around with making workouts for my Vasa and the power levels I am putting into the intervals are quite low compared to my FTP. I will try lowering my FTP value before starting the workout and see if that does the trick.

1 Like

Just be careful–the WC works based off percentage of FTP, so if you just change your FTP, it will still have the same low percentage and therefore no beep. You can always create a workout with a couple of very short higher-percentage intervals (not even that high–even just 70% should do it) and see if you get the beeps. I have a vague recollection that the beep threshold is somewhere around 55 or 60%, but I don’t remember exactly. Or, make a workout with some steps like 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%, etc., and see where the beep starts. They don’t need to be long intervals–even just 20s will be sufficient.

I think this is connected to the “interval threshold” (that is not the proper term, but I can’t remember it right now), that dictates whether a particular interval is a “work” or “rest” interval.

There is a mass adjustment (and maybe a white line) that sets which effort level dictates a “work interval” Any above that line will end up with an interval in the table summary, and I am betting that the level would also activate the beeps.

So look for that setting (sorry I can’t remember the name) and see if that is connected.

1 Like

YES! You’re right–I forgot about that. There’s a setting in WC to set the “resting” percentage. And I bet you’re right that if the interval is above that percentage, you get a beep, and if it’s below, you don’t. That’s much easier to check than my method.

1 Like

Sweet. I’d love to know if that is the ticket. Good luck testing :smiley:

Makes sense relative to the two workouts I set up. I see that the “Rest Level” is defaulting to 50% of FTP. There is no way in hell I am going to hit 50% of my bike FTP on the Vasa - that would be a huge improvement over where I am right now. If you use the toggle button on the Rest Level, a corresponding white line (like the one for FTP) shows up on the display and you can adjust accordingly. I will try another workout today or tomorrow and let you know if it worked.

2 Likes

Slightly at a tangent to the original question but the only thing I have not been able to manage in WC is to take the trainer out of erg mode as happens during the 20 minute FTP test.
I have this about that before and I got the impression it was not possible. That does surprise me because I copy the 20 minute workout so you would think that had the code inside it already.

Covered here.

Thanks @mcneese.chad but actually that thread confirms what I was saying - that it is not easily and repeatably possible to change mode within a workout.

Thanks for the reply though as I had not seen that thread and it does give a possible timeline on a WC replacement.

I do like the sentence in that thread which says something like " creating a workout should not be a workout in itself"

1 Like

Yeah, but you should be able to make a snippet at least. That should make it easier to repeat for now.

They are planning to remake the WC and make it web based. But I get the impression that it will be some time before it happens.

Hi! I just wanted to close the loop on this. The countdown beeps are working great. Many thanks for the help.

1 Like

Awesome news. Thanks for the confirmation. Happy workout building and training. :smiley:

Ooooh please share how you add text. TIA :slight_smile:

Have you watched the instruction videos? I think it is covered in there.

1 Like

I haven’t watched the instruction video, but if you click on one of the blue blocks (intervals), then click “edit text” (under the “Repeat Selection” button towards the top right/central area), you get the text editor. Type the text in the bar at the top of the text editor and click “add text”. You can select what time you want it to show up, and how long you want it to be on screen. For example, if it’s a long interval, you might want to say something to yourself at the start, and then something else halfway through. After adding the first one, you can enter in more text and change the time to be something in the middle of the interval.

Glad that the beeps are working well!!

1 Like

Thanks I wasn’t even aware of their existence - all self taught/messed up :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll do that as I’ve just modded Beech and using LoC(adence)HiT(orque) and then the last segment I’ll spin up to naturally selected c90+rpm - Thanks

1 Like