Why i cant do a proper vo2max workout?

Seems like you’ve got the idea now!

Most people should target 15-21 minutes here. Up to 24 or 25 max for these sessions. I’ve personally only ever done one 24 min set on a day where I felt really good. I normally am 20-21 minutes myself, so there’s no shame in ditching the last interval if you’re wiped out.

For those keeping track at home, that would be:

3-4x6min
3-5x5min
4-6x4min
5-7x3:30
6-8x3min

Those are my usual prescriptions and how I structure them depends on the athlete and the block style they’re doing. I usually give a range like that, and the goal is the middle value. Feel great? Do the max. Gassed? Do the minimum.

6 Likes

Yeah i did it!

First 1.5h Z2 outdoor ride and after that directly on the indoortrainer for 7x3min Vo2max!
And indeed 100-105 RPM is to low. Today i did 107-110 RPM and that was the trick. Thank you all for the help!

13 Likes

Perfect! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Today would do 5x4min Vo2max with 4min rest, but after 3x4min i cant handle it. I deside to make it as long as possible with 2.5min, 3min and almost 2min. TiZ: 19.5min. Is this the same adaption as 19.5min in the same intervals?

1 Like

Yes indeed. The last interval i had problems with the HR strap.

Today 14:22 above 90% (with bad HR strap) and saturday 16min.

1 Like

Yes but last saturday i could manege 324w for 3min… so i think it was not to hard. Thursday i will try again 7x3

Yes around 315

I would take longer and easier recovery intervals. I have similar numbers to you and to be honest I can’t do more than 100w comfortably. Plus I start with shorter recoveries and I take longer ones after a couple of intervals, otherwise I can’t do the following ones in a productive way.

Today I did 6x3.5min intervals, I’ll leave a screenshot if you want to check (I had gearing issues in the 5th interval):

1 Like

I think you did your first intervals to hard, thats why you need longer recovery at the end.

The issue for me is that the first interval always feels easy, in that case I only reached max effort in the last 30s or so. I also paced it, otherwise I would have gone out at 400w for the first 2 minutes and then failed the session, like I have already done in the past :sweat_smile:. My 5min power is 356w for reference.

About the recoveries I planned them that way, like I go from 1x to 2x the duration of the work intervals as I need. I won’t take a 15 minute recovery or something like that of course. I also take them as easy as possible until I feel ready to increase the pace slightly, as you can see from the graph.

For me is the 5min power 355w, but that was not with a cadans of 107+. So with higher cadans my max power output is much lower. I dont look to much at power during the workout, as long i can hold the cadans above 107 and the power above FTP. In the other workouts i also play with the rest part 4-5min.

Tomorrow i will try lower rest and easier in the first intervals.

I do the same, it’s just the first interval where I keep it under control to avoid blowing up. In the following intervals I was hanging on for dear life while trying to keep the cadence over 105 RPM and the power was around 310-320w.

Good luck, I think you’ll do even better with easier and a bit longer recovery sections!

1 Like

Thanks @Matt25 and @redlude97 for the latest adjustments! Lower power in rest, more pacing in the first intervals and at the end longer rest…thanks all!

18min above 90% HR

6 Likes

Good advice here. Also, up to double the interval length recovery if you need it.