Why does laughing sap power?

You certainly don’t want to be scrolling the memes during VO2 intervals…why does this phenomena happen? :man_shrugging:t2::nerd_face:

And on a similar note why does burping make HR briefly dip by 10-15bpm

To that I have an answer!

Any gas escapage (via either end) disrupts the CNS and the vagus nerve.

4 Likes

Burping reduces your intra-abdominal pressure, which reduces your blood pressure temporarily.

2 Likes

So the key to keeping a low HR during Vo2 intervals is to prep with a carbonated beer-like beverage?

3 Likes

Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you prevent heart rate decoupling during long threshold efforts.

4 Likes

Oh…I thought that was my secret weapon. :unamused:

Ummm…no info about laughing?

Laughing gas, maybe? :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Only 3-4 for me. And increases 3-4 if I have any acid reflux.

Is it because it causes you to lose concentration? I can’t talk to anyone during VO2max. My wife will sometimes come down and ask me how long I have left (I usually ride before dinner in the evening) and I can’t answer that simple question even with the TR display in front of me!

Because it diverts all your power to your laughter muscles.

So you’re saying during a race I should make my opponents laugh?!? :sweat_smile: :rofl: :crazy_face:

Just before that break away hill, drop a loud fart, and ride away. They will be too busy laughing whilst simultaneously choking on methane and hydrogen sulphide.

1 Like

I cant fart while in the saddle, Ass up, stop peddling, a good chuckle and we are off again.

/sorry.