Whump whump whump of a solid rear disc wheel

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what makes the whump whump whump noise, or more importantly, what type of disc wheel makes the best whump whump whump noise.

Back in the day, I’ve had a flat solid disc and a convex solid disc before with the flat solid disc making the best whump whump whump noise.

I’m considering a new wheel and noticed there’s a lore more styles now such as the AEOX one.

From what I can gather, it’s the flat solid discs that make the best noise.

Can anyone verify this?

After all, it’s all about the whump whump whump noise isn’t it ???

Cheers,

Pat.

Just for clarification, we’re not talking about disc brake wheels, we’re talking about solid aero TT/Triathlon rim braked rear wheels.

1 Like

Any solid carbon disc will get you the desired sound…whether a flat disc or convex disc gets a better sound, I don’t know honestly.

But a wheel like a FLO disc or HED Jet will NOT get you the whomp whomp whomp. Those are regular spoked wheels with basically a fairing over them. To be avoided at all costs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And yes, it is all about the whomp whomp whomp. I used a wheel cover for a few years, which was just as aero as a disc…but I eventually caved and spent the money because I “needed” the whomp. :wink::wink:

2 Likes

I’ve seen people make their own disc wheels with a can of spray foam, a disc cover (homemade at times) and a regular spoked wheel. It will whoomp.

I’ve got a HED Jet Disc and it doesn’t whoomp as was posted above. Been tempted at times to fill it up with a can of spray foam honestly to get that whoomp sound and also to give it a bit extra reinforcement for strength. But can’t get myself to void the warranty (and the ability to true it should it go slightly out of round).

I’ve often wondered what makes that noise. My training routes are very quiet and my mid aero wheels (Enve 5.6) make a faint whomp whomp whomp.

Down on the Central Coast I’ve ridden into an oil field (Cat Canyon) and it sounds a bit like that at a distance.