Rear disc wheel recommendation

Hi, I’m in the market for a disc wheel (disc brake) for my new Cervelo p5 TT bike. Currently considering:

• HED VANQUISH PRO RCD (21mm int / 30mm ext) 1160g

• Enve disc wheel (18.5mm int / 27.5mm ext) 1225g

• Aerocoach disc wheel (18.8mm int / 25.7mm ext) 1150g

Enve most expensive at 2.7k, HED at 2k and aerocoach 1.2k

Are there any other good wheels to consider out there? What should I go for? I’ll use a 80mm front wheel

Thanks

I’ve one of these in production for track, can’t say if good or comment on speed but appealed to my wallet.

I know it’s not on your list, but my Zipp Super 9 disc has been amazing. I used that regularly throughout the year last season and definitely managed some PR times that weren’t due to fitness :joy:. Everything about it has been great, including setup and maintenance, to road feel. It was rather expensive, but considering time trialing is my priority, it was definitely worth it

Obligatory plug for the Enve since I am on the Enve Racing team this year. It really is a fantastic wheel.

That said, the performance differences are not huge between discs. The most important factor, IMO, is getting a full carbon construction disc, not a fairing over a spoked wheel. Again, performance is relatively the same between the two designs, but with a solid carbon wheel you get the “WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP” sound, which is the critical element in any disc wheel purchase. If you don’t buy it now, you will later, so just suck it up and do it right the first time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

While I’ll second the „whoompiness“ of a disc being great, I wouldn’t really call it the „most important thing“.
The speed difference between disc wheels definitely isn’t huge, especially with the brands that aerotest.
So I guess the second biggest focus should be tire choice:
Immer width, tubeless capability etc.

Besides that. Go with what you can afford an can get your hands on.
I‘d argue the best in the market are ENVE, DT Swiss/ Swissside, Roval, ZIPP in the full carbon construction market.
And Aerocoach, Revolver and Princeton are all tried and tested in the spoked market.

If I had to choose today, I’d go with the Roval 321 Disc. Full carbon construction, mega light, TL compatible, and extremely aero (proven by the fact that many WT teams use it when not forced to use sponsored equipment).
My close second would be the DT Swiss/ Swiss Side, with very high-end hubs and wide inner width.

Thanks! How about the new HED vanquish pro disc wheel? It’s also spoked with carbon cover and has 21mm inner width (against the swissside/DT Swiss 20mm) and has 30mm ext rim width (against the swissside /DT Swiss at 26mm).

I’ve read that the dt swiss/swissside one isn’t full carbon disc but it’s kind of a double wall with foam construction - not sure how it works… which one would be stiffer? The spoked one (eg. Hed/aerocoach) or the solid one (Enve, dt swiss)?

Thanks