Who's over 60 y/o and using TR?

I don’t think that happened on my Kickr. It stayed in erg for entire test.

Hmm, switching modes is mentioned in the video on the 20-minute test page: Log In to TrainerRoad

It is also in the workout notes that appear in the TR app - I brought up WorkoutCreator and copied the notes displayed during the test. Here is a few snippets of what appears in the TrainerRoad app between the 5-min all-out effort and 20-min test:

“For those of you on electronic trainers…”
“you’ve probably noticed you’re back in Erg mode”
“But when that upcoming 20-minute effort begins…”
“we’ll automatically switch you back to Slope mode (3%)…”

and earlier, just before the 5-min all-out:

“Before we get to the advice regarding the upcoming 5-minute interval…”
“a quick note to riders on electronic trainers in Erg mode”
“During this 5-minute & the 20-minute effort…”
“we’ll automatically shift into Slope mode for you…”
“meaning you’ll USE YOUR GEARS…”

I’m sorry. I thought you and Doc were talking about the TR Ramp Test, which seems to be the default FTP test now (and what I had tried to set my FTP.) I see now the 20 minute FTP test is different.

no worries I was on a conference call, glad we got that sorted out! And yes, the Ramp Test is the new default and stays in Erg mode if you have a smart trainer. Have a great weekend!

Great podcast and great news! I would love for Chad and the gang to do a deep dive podcast on getting faster for older athletes. Not just work/recovery ratio, but also things like the importance of VO2max, strength training and nutrition to reduce muscle atrophy, flexibility work etc.

1 Like

Phil, I’m not sure but are you referring to the weekly podcast or to the new successful athletes podcast from this week featuring 64 y/o cyclist Lydia Gould. It’s a great listen for 60+ cyclists. +30 Watts and Winning Races at 64 with Lydia Gould – Successful Athletes Podcast 25

2 Likes

David, Yes, I was referring to Lydia in the great Successful Athlete’s podcast and suggesting it warrants a deeper dive into all aspects of training for ‘older’ athletes in the “Ask a Cycling Coach” podcast.

3 Likes

Agree. I’d volunteer to be a TR Crash Test Dummy to help support an improved plan for us more experienced folks. I still think I’m bullet proof until about 4 or 5 days of repeated riding then my body reminds me there is a few extra miles on the odometer

1 Like

I am 69 in my 3rd year of TR. I love it.

5 Likes

_=As a 70 year old athlete, my focus has become more on recovery as an indication of volume. Intensity and duration can be planned, but only with proper recovery , There needs to be a “flex” option as to extending weekly training blocks . For example, a 7 day week becomes a 9 day instead, Allowing the workouts to be as intense as other ages, but with time to recover given more priority, and therefore factored, Right now they are not.

6 Likes

Here’s a recent article from Chris Carmichael on 4 training myths for over 50 cyclists: 4 Training Myths for Cyclists 50 and Older - Chris Carmichael

3 Likes

Interesting. Using my resting HR of 56 and max of 162 (number I occasionally hit on tough climbs) yields VO2 Max of over 44 or superior for over 60 y/o. I will take it! And much cheaper than paying $120 to local university for a painful VO2 Max test! :hot_face:

Listening to the Breakfast with Boz podcast today about aging and training. From the Wahoo team, the optimal plan for 50 plus riders is 15 days of training and 5 days of recovery.

This makes me consider if I want to go to the effort of rebuilding my plan manually. I’m in a recovery week and start Build next week, this would be the right point after SS Base 1 and 2 low volume

One of my intentions this year is to not ride myself into the ground like I did last year with mid volume.

1 Like

Depending on how you structure base, how well you feed, and how well you recover.

I’ll be 56 this year and was interested in the 15/5 day planning. I’m struggling though to see how I would fit my weekly 1x vo2, 1x sweetspot and 1x long ride into a 15 day block.

I just put in my numbers, and it gave me a VO2 max > 60 at age 67. I seriously doubt it. I’m working real hard just to get my FTP up to 3 watts/kg

1 Like

Many here seems to think the major purpose of cycling is to raise their FTP. I almost never read anything here about the joy of cycling and the health advantage you get.

6 Likes

I love to ride my bike.

1 Like

I’m suspicious of all recommendations, here and everywhere, how I should train. Nobody here on TR, or anybody else, knows my physical status and what I need depending on my goals.

2 Likes

I think you should consider all the recommendations as merely training tools to put in your toolbox. Use them as you see fit if they have merit. For me in seeking improvement, the only common aspect for all of us is consistency.