When you quit vs. Ramp Test Results

Every test of this type - constant-effort over fixed duration, step-ups such as Conconi, Léger-Boucher, ramps - benefits from experience in the test protocol, allowing individuals to better pace themselves and giving a more accurate result. So part of it is, as you stated, that endurance athletes are accustomed to managing pain. and part of it is familiarity with the testing protocol - knowing when focus becomes important, knowing when to give it all vs keep some reserves, being familiar with the incomfortable sensations and knowing in advance how they will evolve.

I’d argue that the ramp test probably suffers less from this than more steady state methods of testing. Pain tolerance and being used to pushing yourself are definitely areas than can be worked on and improved through experience but unlike the 8 or 20 minute tests there is no element of pacing in the ramp test. You ride at the power you’re told to until you can go no more. It’s not possible to go out too hard or save yourself too much so for inexperienced athlete’s I’d expect it would give more consistent results.

2 Likes

Agreed. This is the logic behind using Léger-Boucher-type tests (aka beep test, shuttle run tests, or whichever other flavor) in lieu of a fixed distance run to evaluate fitness. These tests are less dependent on the individual’s experience and abilities to pace correctly. Same applies to cycling.

You only have to witness the first kms of a 5 or 10k running race to understand that proper pacing is something that requires training…

2 Likes

I always find that my head gives in before my legs do, I also test better out on the road than on the turbo as I overheat terribly indoors. As long as you can say that on that particular day that was your best at the time then the results should speak for themselves. Providing your equipment is calibrated and accurate each time then your results are there to be used going forward.

I always try to test in a realistic manner. Sure, I could get some buddies or my wife to cheer me on or whatever, but how does that help with the objective?

The point of testing is not to achieve the highest number humanly possible, it’s to set targets for the next wave of training. If I pull out all the stops to gain an extra 5-10 watts on my FTP test it is then highly likely that I’ll be failing in the next block of training.

Since I believe consistency and quality of completed workouts is far more important than “beating” the Ramp test, my testing focus is on keeping test sessions as similar as possible in terms of conditions and getting a good enough FTP estimate to feed the training program.

TL;DR - Unless you’ll have same conditions as your test for that third week of training, going all out to set a PR in RAMP test is likely not the best way to use effort.

Now having said that… it might be fun to have a Crush the Ramp Test competition where folks really do go all out and see what they can do to max the test. I wouldn’t use that number for training but I bet in the face of competition many of us could get an extra 30-90 seconds or more. Maybe something for us northern hemisphere folks to do in February. RAMP Test on Saturday, Disaster on Sunday.

Cheers,

Mark

2 Likes