When and how to get back into training after a flu

I caught the flu last Monday (the real one), and it is mostly in my chest. Right now I try to err on the side of caution, which means I haven’t trained at all.

So when and how should I get back into training? Should I take it slowly the first one or two weeks? Should I wait until I feel “perfect” again or can I start already when I feel like I can handle a bit of a workout?

The flu is subsiding, I still get out of breath very easily (e. g. when I quickly climb a flight of stairs), and I know I will still have to wait. But it’d be nice to know when I can get back into it. I miss training.

There’s no set time period as each rider is individual. I know there’s a great blog Jonathan wrote on this topic it what to do when you miss training because of life, illness, etc. Might just be as easy to search ‘illness’ here and take a peek. There’s already a bunch of threads.

I had a look before I posted this thread, but most threads were revolving around whether or not to skip the workouts or shift the schedule. Other threads focused on whether you should really stop exercising when you are sick or injured. Or what happens when life intervenes. I’ve also had a look at Jonathan’s post, which was linked in one of the threads.

That’s not what I am interested in. I’m specifically interested in when it is advisable to start again and how.

I got a fever and cough at the end of November. Here is my schedule - I basically landed up skipping a bunch, then did some easy workouts, then moved back in my plan.

I didn’t feel perfect in that second week which is why I started with Taku - I felt okay, so Pettit the next day. Then scheduling meant I wasn’t home so just had some more rest days.

Garfield was at about 95% of workout intensity but that was because I buggered up my settings and didn’t notice until I had started.

Hope this helps. If you track resting HR, that might give you some indication?

48%20PM

1 Like

The most important thing is to listen to your body. YOu need to know the difference between quitting too early, and your body telling you to ease back. @ambermalika made some great points to this topic in the latest podcast. The worse thing you could do is ruin yourself long term or lessen your longevity in the sport. If you are a paid professional, then you should consult your team and have a game plan to work through that. If you’re doing this as a serious “recreationalist” remember your priorities. Personally, I would take the time to rest well and ease back once your body says it’s time. Don’t fall prey to comparing your training load to someone else.

#preachingtothechoirhere

2 Likes