What's the most you've spent on a bike?

Dentists work hard too… just throwing that out there :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

In late October 2017 I bought myself a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Aero ($9k Aud) as an upgrade to my 10 year old Focus and as a 40th birthday present to myself. Early that December it was destroyed (along with almost everything*) in a house fire.

Replaced with the same in April 2018 once life settled down a bit (and they were available again).

*the KK Road Machine survived, showing some things are pretty much bombproof.

Used 2015 s-works tarmac for 2800$ in fall of 2017. Got Garmin power meter for it ($600), got a bike fit and needed new stem and seatpost (250$), the saddle broke on a half IM, 250$? I think it was… so it adds up buying a used bike to make it right.

And just a months ago we splurged and I got a 2019 s-works epic, $10k, for my 10yr anniversary. Partly to replace the stolen 2018 epic expert I got 9 months before. Sadly I haven’t even had the chance to ride it because all the trails are still closed here in Dallas still. :frowning:

£6500 on 2019 Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod with SRAM RED ETAP with quarq power meter. Not the best idea to buy at this time of the year in the UK -I’ve not even ridden it yet as I want the first ride at least to be in nice conditions- but I promised myself treat.

Prior to that £3500 on a 2016 BMC GF01 with 6800 Ultegra. This is now my winter bike.

£1,900 on my CAAD12

Purchased in early 2017, if the miles + smiles were converted back into pounds, I’d be quids in. Without doubt, the best sum of money I’ve spent on a cycling related item.

I’ve bought 2 bikes new - my current Cube GTC at £995, and an Airnimal Joey, many years ago at £700. Everything else has been secondhand and under £400. My favourite bike is my fixie - paid £40 for the (531) F&F and then everything else came out of the bargain bin or the parts stash from home. It cost around £150 to build (though it has been upgraded as bits have worn out).
There’s a neat tax benefit scheme in the UK where you can get a bike (plus accessories) for under £1000 and then pay it back out of your pre-tax salary, so I’m guessing there will be a lot of £999 bikes from the UK contingent.

I bought my Scott CR1 SL through the Cycle to Work scheme. It was £1600 (reduced from £2400) and I paid £600 down and did the remaining £1000 through the scheme.

I thought I had killed in a crash last year but am looking into resurrecting it for my son who is just about tall enough to fit on it.

Looking back I still think it was a pretty good deal - decent lightweight frame, SRAM Rival groupset and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.

1 Like

Just under £4k on a Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, love that bike (not so much the monthly repayments though!)

I always justify it by saying that my old hobby of fast cars was a lot more and no where near as healthy. :wink:

$6500 on a MadOne 9.9 frame and another $2500-3000 to build it up.
It’s been 2 years and I am still in love with it. Most beautiful bike I’ve ever seen and I ride it often.

1 Like

@neil I had a CR1 SL back in 2006. Awesome bike! Another one I should have kept.

Agreed, it was my first proper road bike and inspired me to do centuries, London to Paris etc.

I was very disappointed when I crashed it and apparently write the frame off. But the main issue was the integrated rear mech hanger - I recently discovered SOS Hangers which, combined with Carbon Bike Repair, should see it back on the road this year.

1 Like

I buy all of my bikes used from people who decide they need the next best thing or just get over riding bikes.
Probably the most expensive so far is my Trek Emonda SLR $2,100 with a stages. Bought from a friend lightly used. Also bought his aelous 5 tubs for $500. Will probably sell this package and get an allez sprint and build it up 1x.

I did just score a 2018 Focus Mares CX for 1600$ on eBay. retail on these is something like 3100 or so. My first brand new bike ever.

1 Like

$1999 for CAAD 9 and initail setup in 2008 (pedals, shoes, jersey) one day after my Doc said no more basketball, tennis, etc. My wife knew how crushed I was and supported that buy.
Just spent $600 for an Ultegra Di2 group that included Fizik saddle, crank, bars, brakes, cables… pretty good deal really. My wife didn’t really think I needed to build up a second bike.

1 Like