What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

After a major dump of unseasonal snow in Canberra last week, I traded a normal weekend ride for an exploration in the snow. This was 3hrs of tempo and hard work! My followup ride(s) needed to be cut short, as I could feel the edge had definitely been taken off.

13 Likes

90 min of Sweet Spot with the usual Wahoo tickr reporting bad data at the beginning. One more workout on Saturday then 5 load weeks are finally over.

14 Likes

4x20 SS went by pretty quickly, HR was stable. The only problem was I had to restart my proverbial engine after the final rest interval. Fortunately, the spin came back easily enough. Next time I think I will shorten rests to 4 min, and try resistance mode!

12 Likes

Taku -1. Time crunched again today so 30 minutes of active recovery (trying to get the Zwift Working from Home badge). Couple of big days coming up.

10 Likes

Before tomorrow’s storm I thought I’d sneak an outdoor session of the low powered Volunteer before my calendar session tonight. I should have stuck to the 45mins instead of doing a 1h loop. It started :sun_with_face: but soon went :sun_behind_small_cloud::sun_behind_large_cloud::sun_behind_rain_cloud::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain:. 40mins after I’m back the blue skies are making an appearance again

6 Likes

Tough one today…
5 x
10@95-98%
10@65%

Tacked on an hour of Z2 after too.

9 Likes

1x45 at 90%

A little bit harder than SS has been in the past, but I did two back to back threshold days then this. So I’m gonna just pat myself on the back and take a recovery or rest day tomorrow before 1x90 SS on Saturday!

15 Likes

Freeride 60

Made a mistake, Zwift academy ride I had set my mind on turned out to be a Womens only event. Some two x 5 minutes at FTP and a 8 minute freeride above FTP.

Didn’t want to wait an hour for men’s group ride so I did a free ride to more than match what I was expecting to do(24.5 minutes @ 103%) and did it all on the EPIC KOM climb…PR’d it:)

image :smiley:

11 Likes

Confirmed that I am in fact the WORST SPRINTER IN THE WORLD. Just can’t seem to make power in 5 seconds.

My other workouts this week had more TSS but felt easier and were more successful.

Maybe I am just destined to be a slowpoke.

13 Likes

Hawk Mountain. Not too bad, although a little sting in the tail with a late in the day tempo interval that caught me off guard.

13 Likes

I was going to say the only notable aspect of this workout is that it precedes Mary Austin-1, but I think this is the first time I’ve hit 300w for an hour, so that’s good.
Not good prep for tomorrow tho😅

12 Likes

2h@75%. Decoupling 3% (probably due the humidity - it went from 75% to 77% in the course of the workout). Quite pleasant workout and I am learning to eat solid foods during these rides. Lesson one - bars that melts nicely during warm day in your pocket are too dry in room temperature.

15 Likes

Bike 6.5km
Easy, to and from the pool

Swim 2700m
3x400@1:52 16x100@1:45-1:50 4x25@21,19,17,17

Run 11.5km
Easy, 6:25/km

8 Likes

Fang Mountain +1 for me tonight. 2-3deg cooler in the sweat box and it felt relatively sustainable again, its either the drop in temperature or I’m getting fitter :thinking:

15 Likes

Am I reading intervals.icu correct on that screenshot. You’re stated FTP is 249 and same in Trainerroad. Intervals.ICU is estimating your eFTP at 294.

Do find intervals.icu pretty accurate with its estimations of eFTP for me, so I would also find that workout pretty substainable if I had those figures in my intervals.icu.

Would ask myself when did intervals.icu estimate that eFTP, does look like to me you are due an uplift!

3 Likes

You are right. Before I started TR my 20min max was 296w (281w FTP) and Intervals.ICU reported an eFTP of 296w (not far off but a little high and closer to my 20 min max). A lot of stress/ weight loss (probably muscle) and knee injury saw me post a number of low ramp tests which dropped my FTP. Intervals.ICU reported my eFTP around 256w (not far off 249w again a little high). The stress has mostly gone, Ive put on 5kg again (about what I was before) and my knee feel solid again, I’m hoping that now e’FTP is reporting 294-297w (for my last half dozen rides), a high number again, and that the work outs/ TT’s are feeling relatively easier means I am getting back to where I was. I’ve not got another ramp test scheduled until the 20th but after my last TT at the weekend I may slip in one or a 20min test. :thinking:

2 Likes

Ramp Test today.

92 watt increase from about a year ago. TR works…

Today (10/1/2020)

Last Year (9/24/2019)

18 Likes

awesome work!

2 Likes

local fast group ride followed by 2x20 at 94% FTP. Goal was to get some sweetspot work in 1,000 cal into a ride. a bit under fueled so the ride home was a bit painful!

13 Likes

Did the old classic 4x8min VO2 intervals today. Have worked my way down from a 1:1 work/rest ratio to 1:0.8 ratio. Aiming to get that to 1:0.5 before I lengthen the intervals. Progressive overload is in full swing.

I finished the VO2 block and somehow managed to crank up the intensity in the Endurance block after the VO2 efforts to 89% FTP for most of it and felt great. I could tell I was right on the border of AeT/LT1 at that point but I still felt like I could manage it without tipping over into Lactate accumulation. Physiologically I am not sure what is happening and why I am feeling stronger at the moment but I am doing my best to listen to as many podcasts about it, as well as read the papers by Seiler and San Millan to try and understand it all.

Last Christmas I had an FTP of around 220w and I weighed 80kg (2.75w/kg). Not fantastic but not terrible. In my defense, I had just come off the back of having our first child a few months earlier and had slept about 45 minutes in total from October to December by that point. I was also finding solace in multiple cookies and cream chocolate blocks to get me through the day :rofl:

I had a solid base period out on the road after that - which I had no idea was base because I had never really been introduced to structured training before. The LSD rides I was doing for months were more of a mental circuit breaker for me. I joined a few local bunches but inevitable would get dropped quite a bit around that time when they pushed.

Then I found TR and did General Build - my first foray into structured training. Then I found this whole Polarized approach which I have been trying out using sessions that I have created myself on TR workout creator. I’ve been trying a few other things too like fasted Endurance rides, tacking on Endurance after VO2 efforts etc as well. Just experimenting with a few things here and there.

All of a sudden I have gone from 220w @ 80kg (2.75w/kg) >>> 235w @ 75kg (3.13w/kg) >>> 275w @ 73kg (3.76w/kg) >>> 292w @ 73kg (4w/kg) in the space of 6 months.

I am not sure what the heck is going on here, but this whole structured Polarized approach seems to be working. I actually feel like I am on drugs - that’s the best way to describe it. Today I thought my Kickr was broken and giving me cooked numbers :joy:

Another KM Progression 1 FTP test in a few weeks time so we will see what happens with that!

14 Likes