What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Schedule for today was Darwin, 4x10min@95-99% with 3min breaks. Yesterday was a harder ride than planned, so I wasn’t sure how this would go. It was supposed to be rainy today, so I had planned on hopping on the trainer, but then the weather did improve, so I went outside for a quick hour before dinner. Got underway, did the first 10min, and noticed my HR strap wasn’t working. Faffed with that for a bit (hence the first break being longer) and gave up on that. Did the second one (small dip and spike is where I turned around). I was feeling good, so I decided to just power through the third rest, and combine #3 and 4 into one go (was good enough for a KOM, yay!). Felt good at the end, like I could do the whole thing again. Mary Austin-1 coming up on Saturday, rest day tomorrow (might squeeze in an easy MTB ride). I’m wondering whether it’s ok to post up every workout, or does everyone post up the occasional workout?

8 Likes

This is my new favourite workout! As soon as I completed the first interval In knew this was going to be sweet. It was always just on the right side of painful.

Can’t wait for this one to appear again!

12 Likes

I really underestimated this one. The .85 IF was really misleading for the feeling of the intervals. I felt very depleted after this one. Took a while for my body to just come back to earth, and in hindsight, I think I should have extended the cool down longer to really bring my HR back under control.

15 Likes

First non-endurance workout with my new FTP. The valleys of the over/unders were at my old FTP. :cry::hot_face:

16 Likes

Kosciuszko +4 on sustained power build high volume plan, repeating from winter with a 6 watt FTP increase.

I’ve been really enjoying the Outside Rides option while still sticking to structured training. I’ve been finding I can hit the intervals a few watts over target (perhaps due to not being constrained to erg mode indoors) and even finishing strong despite feeling tired and counting down the intervals!

15 Likes

@CapraHam11 you nailed it, thats the way to do outside workouts!

over here…

Took an hour nap.

Barely hung on to put in 8 hours at work.

Force work in my home gym Mon/Wed.

Force work on the bike with 5x7-min low cadence / high torque on Tuesday.

Dreamed of going on a short easy ride today, but unbelievably tired from all the force work. Seriously needed that nap. Welcome to week 2 of a 10 week strength training phase.

6 Likes

Good work sticking with it!

Question - how do you get your power line so smooth? Are you recording power in intervals longer than 3 seconds?

1 Like

Second sweet spot interval session at my new FTP and this one went by much smoother. I think a lack of sleep and/or forgetting to calibrate my power meter before hand really threw me for a loop last time.

Snuck a peek at Saturday’s workout - Palisade :grimacing:. Let’s just say I’m really gonna take advantage of my rest day tomorrow.

13 Likes

I run in Erg mode. I find it’s just easier. I save the free riding for outside and Zwift.

1 Like

No offense but that looks like fake Wahoo power. Nobody pedals that perfectly.

2 Likes

Tried some vo2 efforts based on rpe on the MTB.

Think I’ve gone a bit to hard in the beginning. At the end my legs had no power left. But it was a fun training.

5 Likes

VO2 Friday is back :grin::+1:

Got that lovely burn for the last 20-30 seconds of each interval. The endurance at the end sure felt sweet.

15 Likes

Galena, oh the drudge “today the distraction from pain will be mental toughness”
Yeah, you can say that.
But hey, i’ll take those 60 mins of sweet spot, thanks a lot. That will pay for the beers tonight.

12 Likes

Townsend -1:

So far my “add a bunch of extra low-intensity volume to make up for spending 15 years sitting on my butt” plan is mostly theoretical, but I still believe. Heart rate continues to be a mystery, averaged 5bpm lower today than two days ago because :sparkles: reasons :sparkles:

13 Likes

Magic :woman_mage:

3 Likes

This week I allowed myself some much needed time off of structured training and intervals. Did a 100 mile ride on tuesday and an easy Z1/Z2 ride yesterday. Plan on getting on the MTB tomorrow for a quick hard and fast spin on the local XC loop to keep the legs fresh and have another long ride planned on sunday. Next week is a restweek and I’m looking forward to get back to work with fresh legs and motivation the week thereafter.

10 Likes

Palisade. Got through, but not sure I’m ready to talk about it… Today’s earworm has been @chad saying “juggle that ball son” though…

14 Likes

53 miles of zone 2 @20.7mph…bloody windy - my route is a long loop so out and back - averaging 18 mph out 24 back! still at least it was dry…although suns gone - tacked a short 2.5 mile run @7 min/miles on at the end…good early morning that!

5 Likes

Exactly, that is how I know my power meter has dropped out, i.e when the line becomes smooth and the power from the Kickr is being recorded. The only good thing about Wahoo power smoothing, you can diagnose an issue with your ‘real’ power meter.

Last session,

1H30 Endurance 71% 185w ave Hr 123bpm
+
22 minute Tempo run

2 Likes