What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Andrews outdoors. Andrews is supposed to be endurance, extended to 2 hrs 15 minutes in the outdoor version (I like how the outdoor versions automatically extend the duration to hit the TSS targets). When I saw it was a long ride (for me - I normally ride for an hour, 75 minutes tops, always fasted) I decided to also experiment with fueling instead of fasted. Following some of the guidance in this post How much Carbs do you really need? - #3 by cartsman I stopped at the gas station a few minutes in and looked for some easily accessible fuel – and found this:

130 grams carbs for the 1 liter bottle…65 grams per hour…plus 153mg caffeine…sounded like a good place to start! I sipped it throughout the ride, interspersed with water.

The result: I rode at what felt like Endurance, but according to TR was somewhere closer to Threshold.

2 things I learned:

1. FTP is probably set too low…I’ve been working hard the last two months, but haven’t had a chance to retest recently
  2. Riding higher efforts while fueling makes a difference!

I’ll have a chance to retest in a couple weeks & will be back indoors, it will be interesting to see where indoor FTP comes out. I think I will also start fueling higher effort workouts.

11 Likes