What workout did you do today? (2020, part 1)

Just did Baird+6. Blew up on the 14th interval. Last interval hero is a thing, it’s almost surely mental. I just try to tap into that in earlier intervals sometimes. Doesn’t always work.

7 Likes

off day today… yesterday wasn’t feeling like a 3x20 sweet spot was the right choice so I pulled up Friday’s vo2 workout and did that instead:

Bluebell which is 3 sets of 6x1-min vo2 but dialed it down to the kinder/gentler intensity of 92%. That turns those 120% repeats into 110% which is repeatable and a big deal for my diesel engine. Even though it wasn’t fully stressing the aerobic system, the heavy breathing made me feel like a teenager on first car date and to my surprise Garmin bumped up my estimated vo2max again and now my fitness age is 20 years younger. Even if vo2max estimate is not totally accurate, the trend since late August is up and to the right. More importantly I can feel the difference :sunglasses: and the FTP bump will naturally follow. #SweetSpotGains

16 Likes

Nice… I went back to review a portion of last season which constituted a run-up into the best riding I’d done in the last 10 years (this was pre-TR, but doing structured work outdoors).

That was exactly what I did, more or less - just took a solid SS number (200W in my case) and just kept building it out, out until I was riding it for 90 minutes (in 30-45 min chunks, btw, with 5 min rests). Then, the 105% and higher got worked in…

2 Likes

Darwin. Fatigue is building quick, but kept pushing through. Got Mary Austin -1 Saturday but really considering subbing in a 2 hour endurance ride to help recover so I can hopefully kill it for week 5 of SSB2 coming next week

12 Likes

I’ve failed at Elephants+ more times than I care to remember. Great job!

2 Likes

After doing Shortoff +2 two days ago, and VO2 workouts both running and swimming yesterday, I’m pretty fried. These four 12-minute over-unders were tough! Anything that hurts that much must be making me stronger, right?

11 Likes

might just take you longer to warm up…

Raised FTP by 10 up to 276 and this felt about right. It’s about 26C(78F) and the fan just felt like it was blowing warm air. Should have gone outside but got home from work late and wanted to get some efficient work done :white_check_mark:

7 Likes

Another spineasy today. Hope to be feeling like jumping back onto some intensity next week :crossed_fingers:t2:

10 Likes

So a bit disappointed today to not make it through Stromlo +4. This is the last week of sustained power MV and I think I must be knackered. The VO2 on Tuesday crushed me and I felt from the get go that this would be a tough one. By the 4th block I felt like I had just completed a ramp test so I just shut it down. Not sure if nutrition of dehydration factored into this one but I should know by tomorrows.

Will rest up and tackle Saturdays workout before onto a couple of Time Trials over the next few days.

9 Likes

Another shortened Sunday session that I’d skipped to ride outdoors.

This is the end of my ‘not a rest week’ as I’m off skiing on Saturday so I’ve shuffled a few bits around.

Feels really good to be completing sessions with intervals close to FTP whilst being able to keep my HR right in the slot :+1:

11 Likes

Homers Nose
Subbed out Pettit after seeing this on this thread… done whilst doing stage 2 of TDZ. Only issue is I had to increase power on that hill else you are there for what seems an age… also had a little sprint with another at the end…I won that little battle :slight_smile:

Sat here now with a very bad back, just had to pick up my 1800cc motorbike (320kg dry weight) after morning commute. Yes I tried to lift with legs… no damage to the bike, just me after front brake grabbed at junction and slippy floor and cr*p road surface made me lose its balance… wonder if I’ll manage to get my boots off today, my arms aren’t long enough at the moment :frowning:

9 Likes

All ok this morning, tough but managed to do all at 100% intensity. :+1:

13 Likes

Bwoah that sucks, glad you aren’t injured badly yourself

2 Likes

did carson + the ramp test back to back yesterday evening (week 3 ssb1 lv ), Carson had the slow cadance drills which kept my HR pretty low. Was looking for some extra and decided to do the ramp test (previous ramp test was on the zwift trial prior to starting the TR plan).

Bumped my ftp from 262 to 268… Is this realistic? or should I expect a higher FTP since I did the ramp test with an hour SS in my legs? Maybe 262 was already low, because ss wasn’t easy, but also not very hard.

but I guess the only valid answer is to ramp fresh the next time :smiley:

4 Likes

Just glad to hear that you’re not injured, other than the back of course. Take it easy and move slowly.

1 Like

@GPx @PusherMan Will be taking it easy thank you, maybe some ibuprofen later if things don’t improve and will see where I’m at… always find the indoor riding okay when I have a bad back, its the getting ready I find hard! but it’s a recovery week so can easily take a day or two off.

1 Like

Palisade end of ssb 1 . Tough one but made it .

13 Likes

Just a run today for me

Easy-Moderate run and then concluded with 10x controlled sprints (uphill) w/ 40s of recovery between them. Jog back

rTSS = 52

4 Likes

I dreaded it, but it was really not that bad in the end - felt easier than Palisade last week, as a matter of fact. Going up the Alpe du Zwift at the same time is a good distraction, and focusing on embracing the pain also helps.

Done.

Remains the mighty trio Spencer-Lamark-Leconte next week, and base will be behind me.

16 Likes