What workout did you do today? (2018/2019)

Antelope for SSBLV1 week 2, and I clearly don’t belong among you racers but I’m proud of myself anyway.

3 Likes

I’m exhausted and hungry just reading about your workouts! Was your cadence really avg 65 for 4.5hrs?

1 Like

Just finished. :triumph:

3 Likes

We all start somewhere! I think my first recorded FTP was 90

2 Likes

(after creepin’ on your profile) WOW you’ve basically doubled it!

Yes, and I’m at my best w/kg to date :partying_face:. Progress has definitely not been linear and these days I feel a lot of my gains aren’t necessarily FTP based.

What I found interesting was the data that Nate put up some time back: The Bell curve of cylists - how fast are the average TR users? because I always felt I was way more to the left of the curve than I actually am.

4 Likes

I’d be willing to be most of us think that until we are presented with the facts. I had a borderline complex about not being a very good runner in HS (25 yrs ago!) because I wasn’t the fastest guy on my team, yet I was a 1:56 half miler and sub 17 5K runner as an underdeveloped senior. Not elite, but way to the right of the bell curve. I let that “complex” affect my enjoyment of the sport. Live and learn. I often wonder how fast I could’ve been had I stuck with it and kept working!

1 Like

Ha, yep, I am less left-ward than I expected.

Kaweah.
Timed it perfectly to finish together with the Omloop, cooldown started just as the chasers came over the line.

Not happy with my new ‘ftp’ though, it hurts!
2 weeks to go till the over/unders show up so hope to improve a bit by then.

3 Likes

Wilhelm +5.
(Endurance interval done at SS pace)

Sooo easy.

I’m either doing something super right or doing something duper wrong.

And so help me god if I have to read “Your FTP is wrong” one more time!!!

3 Likes

Ansel Adams -2

After today, I’m calling these intervals “Stybars” :fire:

3 Likes

Yup. Right there, not like alternating between 50 & 80, but hovering around 65. I used to ride at 85-90 comfortably but downshifted. Lower cadence is equalling lower heart rate which should mean lower cardio drag for the run. That’s the idea, at least. I sent this q to the podcast but it wasn’t picked up.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting question for sure. I’ve done Antelope twice so far this year; second time avg HR was about 7 beats higher but avg cadence was higher too. I wasn’t running straight after so can’t report back on how that aspect went.

I think Brett Sutton advocates low cadence partly for the same reason you articulated: https://blog.trisutto.com/low-cadence-triathlon/

2 Likes

Finished Brasstown - thus marking the end of SSB LV1. I noticed that it’s easier for me to do standing-up sprints. Looking forward to measure my FTP gains next week and kick off SSB LV2.

Workouts often dont go well the day following a big ski day. Maybe I’m turning a corner; today went just fine. Gonna have to get used to it with so much snow in the Sierras.

2 Likes

Technically yesterday. Junction -1. That was very difficult!!

7 Likes

Check our the comments, I’m also unaware of any science backing this opinion up.

Rationalising, I get that it should be a trade between impacting your legs or your aerobic system but I’m not a fan of assumptions.

My TR sessions average 86-88rpm but I can’t spin faster then 65rpm uphill and stay below VO2max, so outdoor and race day averages 73-75rpm.

1 Like

A poor February and now I have a bad back. Away on holiday this week and hopefully will return refreshed and revitalised. CTL down at 26 from the normal ~53

Dicks -1. 5 x 8 mins at 105% FTP. Tough but felt good.

4 Likes

Happy to complete SSBLV1, slight adjustment today to Tower as I had planned a cafe ride but the weather didn’t cooperate.

Switched up to SSBMV2 next week, hoping for a bump in FTP

3 Likes