What Sleep Are You Getting?šŸ˜“

Thanks for the recommendation, @nrbelkow. Iā€™m lately leaning toward purchasing an Ember to see if I can limit my number of ā€˜toysā€™ to just one in hopes that it will provide 90-95% of what Iā€™m looking to learn without overwhelming me with pre-bedtime tasks and concerns. :wink:

1 Like

I daily go to sleep 1.00 pm at night and wake up in the morning 9.00 am. It is my daily routine.

Have any side effects of oversleeping?

Nice read. Thanks for sharing your sleep data in details.

Iā€™m becoming concerned by my sleep. Typically 5-6 hours per night despite my training load going up. I get to sleep OK but just canā€™t stay asleep. Iā€™m tired but canā€™t seem to stay asleep when I think it is what I need.

New blackout blinds are on order but I am really struggling. I eat about 7.30 most nights, a few late night snacks (e.g. muesli around 9.30/10). Not much of a drinker (alcohol or caffeine after 4). I tend to train early or get to work early. Regardless I need to be up by about 5.30/6.

Any tips/idead/suggestions?

Currently? None. Thanks for making put the phone down!

We need to sleep at least 8 hours a day. I think that is an ideal number of hours for our body to take a rest. If we are not getting enough sleep, then our body will become weak and weā€™ll get sick. So it is a must for us to follow the 8-hour sleep pattern to let our body get some rest.

Even before kids I didnā€™t sleep that much. Now I get kicked and punched at random points in the night in sensitive areas.

I regard it as counterespionage training, should I ever get recruited.

1 Like

I try to be in bed by 9pm, and eyes closed no later than 9:30. I wake up at 5:30am on weekdays, so Iā€™m very consistent on my 8 hours sleep.

Blackout shades, overhead fan set on low, and a cool room help. Earplugs seem to have had the largest impact on my sleep quality, as I am a ā€œlightā€ sleeper.

Benadryl helps as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve used this device since 2016. Helps me get to sleep and get back to sleep if I wake-up. Also I use an eye mask and ear plugs as I have noisy dogs.

Whatā€™s an Ember?

Iā€™m on the verge of ordering an Oura ring but a bit hesitant as I have just splurged on a Garmin watch (which is too uncomfortable for me to sleep with) which I bought for the same purpose, and also about to lay down an order for the Ooler sleep system (it cools or heats your bed to a schedule) as Iā€™ve noticeced almost all my tossing/turning/waking is due to being too hot.

Not drinking 4 hours before bed means I donā€™t have to wake up to pee - surprising how big of a difference this makes when you wake upā€¦feels like youā€™ve been knocked out all night.

I try to go to bed at 9p, lights out at 9.30p, and wake at around 6a on mornings Iā€™m not up to train (up at 4.45a on mornings I ride the trainer). So 8.5-ish hours of sleep. However, while I fall asleep pretty easily, Iā€™m not very good at staying asleep. Iā€™ve recently felt that this may be a lagging item in my recovery and am considering trying a CBD supplement as people anecdotally say it helps them sleep.
-Hugh
my blog: ex-prosays.blogspot.com

Research has found thatā€™s not the case. Like nutrition or training, there are no one size fits all scenarios. There are general guidelines but implying everyone needs 8 hours of sleep causes more issues than it solves.

I canā€™t recommend highly enough the following book, also available on audiobook:

3 Likes

Well, our daughter decided that sleeping until 4:40 am was enough for us :wink:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s about when our kittens decided as well :joy_cat:

2 Likes

i feel best on a natural schedule; after long hard rides, especially 10h+ ride weekends, a solid 9-10h of sleep. But same situation, if I fall asleep early enough.

7 is as low as I can go or I really feel it; especially the extra hunger from being tired. Really dislike that!

1 Like

Usually 5-6 hours on a good day. 4 last night. I really need more.

Ours usually goes for a time between 6 and 7am. But apparently with multiple night wakenings most days (those are wifeys job). And little miss appears to have caught her first cold and she has no idea whatā€™s going on!

1 Like

The only thing that is not contested on this subject is that people worry too much about getting enough sleep.

There is no right amount to strive for, there is no right way to sleep, you are not suffering if your sleep is not this imaginary ideal sleep. Try not to stress about it. :grinning:

As long as you are managing your stress, have decent sleeping conditions, and no obvious sleep disorder, then your sleep is probably good enough. A few waking moments in the night is no biggie. :+1:

1 Like