What Other Sports Are You All Into?

If you like chess it’s pretty decent, and if you don’t it’s a good series generally. IMO.

1 Like

Disc Golf

1 Like

Dad was a P.E. teacher and two brothers so any sport growing up with football, basketball and track main high school ones. College track doing the decathlon.

Only been road biking for less than 5 years now and really started upping the time in saddle last 18 months. Love downhill skiing though and lived in Colorado for 6 years and miss it along with hiking/trail running which I am starting to do more of here in GA.

My nephew wanted to go see the Raiders for his sixteenth birthday. The Oakland Coliseum is about 2 hours away with game traffic, so my brother-in-law rented a nice “van” big enough for 16 (4 families). The type you would rent to go wine tasting with a group. In addition to disco lights and awesome stereo, it had plenty of storage for adult beverages and a pole. Everyone pole danced, and some real #wallOfShame stuff happened. Sorry I can’t post pics :joy: Good times.

4 Likes

Can I unread that?

3 Likes

No, and I’m going to try and find at least one good pic to share :joy: The birthday boy did some incredibly athletic moves, but he also does mind blowingly high box jumps. :man_dancing::dancer:

edit: action shot of nephew mid-air doing front flip on the pole:

video is awesome!

1 Like

I can just see the entrance into the hospital ER. “See, we were going to this football game…[loads of embarrassing details]… and I think I dislocated my shoulder”.

2 Likes

LOL a long time ago, during a basketball playoff game, his mom was doing cartwheels during halftime and blew out her knee, requiring surgery :joy:

1 Like

I play rugby for my local team, have moved from center to wing since I got into cycling as lost some size/muscle but gained some speed.

2 Likes

Rock climbing has been the most consistent alternate sport. Also XC/skate skiing when I live or visit somewhere that it’s possible.

Other stuff - backpacking, running, swimming, been getting into lifting as well as yoga (again) lately.

Vague quarantine goal of learning how to do a handstand pushup(s).

2 Likes

For me it’s hiking and climbing.

I somehow regret that I had to leave our ping pong club due to quarantine (like logella already said, tt just seems to be easy, still you have to learn and adapt if you want to success, and yeah, that’s pretty challenging as good reaction time required!), but then I just switched then to playing at home just to keep my skills sharp. Kinda boring when your only competitors are your family members, but still better than nothing!
I also took some online lessons (from Pingpongacademy) in addition to my “practice”. Helps me a lot.

1 Like

Not much. Being any good at cycling requires a lot of time, leaving little time for many sports i used to do.

When i can, skiing though.

2 Likes

Running - was much better at that than I am at cycling…plus reading - Fantasy or crime mainly. Plus an addiction to Playstation (mainly giant RPG’s) despite being 52…at least it maintains my level of coolness with the kids I teach! :laughing:

1 Like

Football and Badminton.

2 Likes

Grew up playing football (soccer), played at a decent regional level.

Then gott into running to complement football, did a few races, the usual.

Then discovered how much fun heavy powerlifting is, got pretty strong (150kg ATG squat, 180kg deadlift, bench was woeful).

Then decided to start riding bikes. And here I am.

In terms of watching: almost anything. Huge cricket fan but absolutely terrible at playing. Football, Rugby, F1, Tennis, I could watch sport all day every day.

2 Likes

Tennis. I am playing tennis twice a week. I have a stable partner and a trainer. Also, I’ve started going to ballroom dancing classes after reading https://dancebibles.com/ballroom/. I always dreamt to dance but I wanted to do this with chic and shine. I hope, I’ll do this and that’s why I chose ballroom dances as they are the most graceful and beautiful.

2 Likes

I would love the opportunity to try fencing. Did you start practising at school?

I grew up wrestling and a little boxing with swimming mixed in for off season conditioning.

I am too old and rickety for combat sports which is why I started mountain biking. I also Kayak

1 Like

Back when I was a Sailmaker I raced mostly One Design 30 ft. but would occasionally help the customers in the handicap series, then I got into competitive shooting, now for the most part I am back on the bike with the occasional sail and range trip.

1 Like

I’ve done :
Obstacle Racing
Recreational Running
Swimming to learn to Tri
Motorcycling (if that can be considered a sport)
and i love skiing, just havent found time to do as much these past 2-3 years (and the state of snow in my area is on the decline)
i want to get into Archery and into XC skiing… maybe i could start a new kind of biathlon

1 Like