What is your L/R power balance?

50/50 or 51/49 most of the time.

No idea, I only use a left sided PM, but I’m pretty sure it must be 25%L/ 75%R. How else do you explain my low power readings :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

I tend to average 47/53 with things evening out with higher intensity. Basic takeaway has been to be a bit more cognizant of my lazy left glute and do a bit of PT and strength training to increase power a bit. However, if you notice a discernable difference, then you could check cleat setup to make sure you haven’t unintentionally shortened the effective reach of one leg and thereby reduced the power that can go through the pedal.

On average about 55/45 with the range being 52/48 - 57/43. This includes gravel and MTB and doesn’t appear to have changed going from 175 cranks to 170s.

This coincides with if/when I ever get cramps it’s always the left hamstring.

Usually between 51-55/49-45. Which is interesting because when I run, my L/R balance is usually close to 50/50 but stronger on my right leg slightly instead.

~53/47 on easier rides, but when intensity is tempo and above, it evens out to 50/50 most of the time. I wonder why this is

Just about every ride averages 51(L) vs 49(R) by the end.

At v easy Z2, I’ll be 52/48. At sweetspot or higher, it’s pretty much bang on 50/50.

My right glute is just a touch lazy until I’m/it’s under a bit of pressure.

Personally unless there’s a trend (for example, your left leg goes 50-52-54-56% over time), the split is more uneven than 55/45 without any obvious explanation, or you’re in pain, L/R balance isn’t worth worrying about.

I had a bike fit this week and mentioned my imbalance (around 44 / 56) to which he said. not seeing it on the machine, so he had a look through my Garmin data, and said that it wasn’t that one leg was stronger than the other, rather that I was starting to pedal earlier on my right side, which meant I was pedalling for longer … hence, the imbalance

Was just interesting as I had never thought of that being a possibility

Similar for me looking at my Assioma data I start my power phase earlier and finish it later on my “strongest” leg. When I deliberately point my foot downas I go over the top on my weaker leg the imbalance disappears somewhat. I suspect I have a longer leg or a less flexible ankle on my weaker leg.

1 Like

48/52

0 / 100% but I only have a single sided pm :joy:

2 Likes

I had a partial knee replacement (right leg) 4 months ago and am still down on power (8% at least). My left leg burns more on hard efforts so figured I might have an imbalance now. Turns out I do but only when riding easy (Z2). Blue on the bottom trace is left leg:

Much harder ride (was cold and wet, had to ride tempo to stay warm!), much less imbalance. 50/50 on 1st climb:

My knee doc says it takes 8-12 months to get the power back. I am going to see a physio to try speed that up.

48/52 or 49/51 I don’t much differ from that.

1 Like