What is the recovery wattage?

Just wondering what the wattage goal is for the recovery intervals outside for Shaka as it simply says recover for 4min 30sec. This outside workout seems a bit woolly :joy:

i think around 40-50% of FTP

2 Likes

Recovery is 45-55% of FTP to most people.
(It is below 55% per Dr. Coggan)

Edit to add, I missed the context of the particular workout. This can and does vary with particular workouts and the stress intended.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just been looking at what % of ftp it is calling for when I view the workout in my iOS app and it calls for 65%.

1 Like

This needs to be updated to show in the outdoor rides

2 Likes

sure, but keep in mind your first job is all-out sprint for 20 seconds. Outside and standing you may go a lot higher than 200% on those early sprints. You are training an all-out sprint, not aerobic endurance, so donā€™t worry and take a true recovery at very low watts (40% ftp) if needed. What you want to do is recharge for 5 minutes and then smash another sprint at close to same wattage as previous sprint.

3 Likes

Recovery doesnā€™t necessarily need a ā€œtargetā€. In fact, Iā€™d say a ā€œtargetā€ is necessary to make sure youā€™re spinning easy enough. After all-out outdoor sprint intervals, that might be 30% FTP or maybe 50%. Point is, as Chad said, keep it low, usually 50% FTP or less. For me when I practice sprints, it usually takes a minute where I might coast, then a few minutes under 50%.

In general, recovery intervals are not the time to try to add some extra TSS points, yet I see it all the time on TR workouts where folks are adding 20% to recovery wattage and then dialing down the actual work intervals or taking backpedal breaks. In sprint workouts in particular, TSS shouldnā€™t be a concern.

1 Like