What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

This so much. New cars are so far ahead. Just 20 years ago if someone had 100k on a car it would be considered old and they’d be shopping for a new one. I’m the process of bartering for a car about to hit 400k and that’s nothing. You’d have replaced then engine 3* by now in a something from 1964. They are safer, get better mpg etc. Old cars suck (and I say this as someone with a lot of old cars).

2 Likes

Cars are no doubt better now… but man did they look so much better back in the day!

We’re far off topic now. But the bumper you see and the foam under it is there for fuel economy, looks, pedestrian safety and also to reduce actual structural damage to the real bumper and frame rails.

The real bumper has more engineering in it than the entire 64 mustang has between its front and rear bumpers.

7 Likes

I think this thread should be for cycling opinions. :wink:

Evidently not a popular opinion right now…:smiling_imp:

7 Likes

29 inch tires have made people lazy and bike handling skills have suffered as a result

1 Like

Full suspension and dropper posts have made people lazy and bike handling skills have suffered as a result.

5 Likes

You’re right, riding 29" wheels without tyres would force us to develop pretty good handling skills.

4 Likes

Gimmick stages have no place in grand tours.

(it was entertaining though)

3 Likes

I was about to write this same thing.

1 Like

Fine, flushing my contributions.

Was it entertaining? I’m not sure, but I think I agree it’s not needed at the TDF

Oop, didn’t mean to be like that - this is quite a sarcastic thread, I thought it would be taken that way.

Emojis added!

1 Like

No worries! I got off on a tangent, and even fumbled it too. Vehicles is one thing that some people think cyclists aren’t ‘sensitive’ to. Before I bought this last vehicle, I really did weigh out the pos/neg of getting a Sprinter van actually. For hauling around everything I have to from time to time, I seriously considered one. Some people honestly thought I’d slipped the lead and was off the ranch… ‘Buy a VAN? ARE YOU MENTAL!!!’ But had one person say ‘Can you drive to the big events? And take me?’. Yeah, sure… :roll_eyes: I could start my own team, having a team van… :sunglasses: Someone in the local club joked about renting it for club events! Oh, sure. :no_entry_sign:

I do so wish I had more room to carry bikes(s) inside, but it was an impulse buy, and I’ve loved it mostly since. But it’s a Toyota. No problems at all so far, little drama…

Not meaning to go on a tangent again, apologies.

1 Like

I actually thought the gravel was a nice compromise between a boring road stage and chunky cobble stage. But I personally find that racing on courses with selective features (gravel, cobbles, narrow roads, hills, etc.) is much more interesting than racing on non-selective terrain. It just encourages more aggressive racing and makes things much less predictable. Sure, if I’m 110lbs like Jonas, I’m not liking chunky gravel sections, but you gotta let the big motor guys eat on some of the days.

And for all the folks who say gravel brings too much luck into play for a race like the TDF, my unpopular take is that they have no fricken idea what they are talking about. Bike racing has always involved luck, but for the most part a good rider makes his own luck with preparation, equipment choice, risk/reward on positioning, etc.

4 Likes

Hot take - Gravel has a longer history in the Tour de France than mountains.

9 Likes

Gravel is too random how will we cope

Stephan Kung: “Oh yes, we have changed up to much wider tyres, we are running 28c now”

Honestly the only issue I had with the gravel stage was that it was a little too flat to really allow a good fight and the course could have been managed a bit better to prevent some of the Muur de Hoy-esque bullshit where the back half of the peloton just had to stop still. Strada is the perfect example of a great modern road/gravel race.

Shoot, no hot take, it’s the damn truth

2 Likes

And therefore the wrong thread :slight_smile:

Leave gravel to the Americans, le Tour is ultimate road cycling.

But the ‘Tour de France’ wouldn’t be possible on ‘American roads’. Meaning what American road has cobbles as long as those on the Tour?

Asphalt, chip-seal, gravel, sand? Where’s the challenge in riding just that? I saw real cobbles in Italy and the UK and could not imagine ever wanting to ride on that surface, OH HELL NO!!

Unpopular opinion: A Tour of America would/should focus on one or two states to limit the off-bike travel time. And then the battle royal would start: Which state(s), and where in each state.