What are your lesser known cycling tips?

Be friends with your local bike shops. You will need them.

5 Likes

Serious tip: get a changing skirt for races. Pactimo sells a really nice one but there’s probably cheaper on Amazon. It’s an elastic and Velcro skirt that lets you change your shorts and bibs standing up without having to pray a towel doesn’t fall or do the cramped car change at events.

10 Likes

This may not be a lesser known tip, but it is probably often overlooked because of its cost. GET A BIKE FIT. Seriously, it is worth the investment. Although bike fits may cost upwards of 300-400 dollars, that is nothing compared to what people will spend on trying a million saddles and bibs to get comfortable. Personally, I held off on getting a fit for way too long, and I suffered with saddle discomfort and sore quads way longer than necessary. It is a night and day difference. I feel like I’m floating on the bike now. Also - I gained around 15-20% across the entire power/duration curve over night. I’ll gladly pay 400 dollars for a 20% performance improvement lol

4 Likes

I’ve got the Orange Mud thing and it is great just to keep in the car when I’ve driven somewhere to ride.

So much easier to change out of bibs while standing than trying to do it in my car.

2 Likes

This is for anyone bothered with sweat running into your eyes or onto your glasses.
Throw away the front padding on your helmet, replace with E-profile selv-adhesive rubber seal.

Feel free to match colour of socks or shoes.

7 Likes

Ditto for the changing skirt and a couple other of my other clothing changing tricks:

• An extra rubber floor mat in the car that I pull out & place on the ground so I can swap shoes & socks without stepping on dirt, gravel, tarmac or whatever ground I am parked on. Other old timers here use a small carpet mat for the same purpose.

• I put a small bottle of hand sanitizer and pack of cleansing wipes in the door pocket of the car. I use these before and/or after changing to reduce risk of saddle sores as well as hand cleaning after applying chamois cream or simply changing clothes.

• Old plastic grocery shopping bags to place used, wet & dirty clothing in at the end of the ride. I can re-stash this back in my gear bag without getting any spare clothing wet & dirty.

13 Likes

I agree with this sentiment, but do have some qualifiers. I tried to do the “one bike, different wheels/tires” thing with a Cannondale SuperX and it didn’t quite work out. Between the fit of the frame on short vs long distance comfort, readjusting brakes when swapping wheels, lack of mounting points for extra bottles/bikepacking stuff, I felt like I was fighting to fit a square peg in a round hole. Now I have the gravel bike, a road bike, and a TT bike for the occasional triathlon. I also have a full suspension MTB in the garage, not currently being used.

I think for most people, the CX bike is the ultimate do-it-all machine, but you do have to take care to have wheels with the same hub spacing to avoid readjusting brakes. [I prefer to have multiple wheels instead of switching out tires] You would also really need to keep up with your maintenance to avoid being “grounded” if something breaks. For example, my road bike is currently squawking at me, and since I have the gravel bike, I have more time to get it fixed.

If someone were getting into riding, I’d probably recommend something in the all-road or CX variety though.

2 Likes

Good tip! During the summer, IKEA sells a towel poncho that can be used for changing, they’re very inexpensive ($15-20). I think they’re meant for people changing at the beach. For the women, we can change tops without flashing everyone. Plus the fabric dries off your skin before you put the fresh clothes on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks, looked around and thought this surfer poncho was an interesting and relatively inexpensive option:

https://www.amazon.com/SUN-CUBE-Changing-Microfiber-Wetsuit/dp/B0852LQHKR/

Jeez…it is like you guys never heard of a towel before. :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Honestly, I haven’t worried about changing in public for decades. Open both car doors, stand between them…quickly drop trou and change. Takes less than 5” and no one notices.

12 Likes

I came here to say this!

Great thread @killroy123 !!!

Well, I have this beef with wind, as in I hate it. The sound/noise it makes in my ears while riding is making me loose my mind. Seriously. Earphones won’t make it much more better.
But then a fellow bike rider suggested this little thing called Windfree, and it’s a sanity- and ride saver! It may look a bit goofy, sure… but I don’t care at all, quiet riding is soooo worth the aesthetic sacrifice.

PS - I am in NO WAY attached to the company!

1 Like

That’s where I’m at. I have a CX bike with 2 sets of nice tubeless wheels. I do most of my own work, so I’m not really at the mercy of shops to have my boke available. Plus I have a couple random backup bikes to use in a pinch.

I’m not a big fan of the ponchos. I got that one by accident and it’s annoying to reach under the torso part

DII Men’s Terry Shower Wrap Collection Adjustable with Velcro and Pocket, 54x20, Gray https://a.co/d/2o5Kgfb

Happy to share a 30% PAC code if you want to splurge for some color haha

yeah I’m a Pac ambassador but not interested in a Kilt that is too $$ for my sensibilities. However from April to October I do backyard post-ride pool sessions and have a lot of practice with a large beach towel. Going to stick with the beach towel or the front passenger seat dance. Would buy a $10-15 lightweight poncho, that $25 one on Amazon is too $$ for me. Maybe my daughter will sew one for me next time she is home.

Saw this in the video and immediately started giggling like a 5 year old

15 Likes

Carrying a multi tool and keeping lead shot in your car can be very useful. If you get to a ride start early you can pour the lead shot down other’s seat tubes when they aren’t looking. Won’t make you faster overall, but faster relative to the others.

4 Likes

Vapor trails presents: Fartvind by Windfree.

3 Likes

I would have thought he’d be holding a large cork…

1 Like

“Fartvind” is actually the “wind” you feel because you are moving through the air. Though now its a case of “cannot unsee” for me :joy:

2 Likes