What Are You Eating

This is something I would make.

Beet, carrot, apple salad.

Kudos on getting some fresh figs. All I can find in my area are dried.

Really? It seems like I see them by the berries section for the majority of the year.

Today is a rest day and I have a pretty high deficit from the few previous days, I needed a filling breakfast.
Oat spirulina pancakes, avocado, poached egg, chicken breast and some sriracha for flavor. 639kcal

3 Likes

Absolutely nothing since Sunday night. Been training still and feel great. Ive missed one ride of a scheduled day but I pre rode it the day before. Did not ride today yet though as it’s a rest day but I’ve added recovery rides to almost every rest day, I like to ride . Ill most likely do a recovery ride if hotel has an exercise bike. I have had 6 teas with a shot of whipping cream in it this week and other than that it’s been water or club soda. I’m in total ketosis and feel good. So
 I’m not eating anything. :grinning:

2 Likes

Vegans look away now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kale salad with chopped Brussels sprouts, purple cabbage, raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, lentils, peas, adzuki, garbanzo sprouts, and for dressing 1tbsp of bth avocado and flax oil and 1tbsp both of apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar with minced garlic and lemon and pepper seasoning.

For protein source and because I have low hemoglobin and iron issues, and I dislike always taking iron supplements, chicken hearts sautéed in avocado oil and seasoned to flavour.

3 Likes

Wow! Chicken hearts!? How many? That’s pretty wild. Thought they we’re potatoes. Never seen those at the local supermarket.

About three quarters of a pound. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Some of our local grocery stores carry them as well as most butchers shops.

1 Like

Aren’t they high in cholesterol? maybe not an issue for you

@mellowdave there is no correlation between ingested cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Research in recent years has put that to rest quite nicely😉 regardless they are no higher in cholesterol than most other typical red meat sources. Liver and kidney are a bit more so.

1 Like

Some Monday Night leftover Ramen with Kale, Spinach, Carrot, Scallion, Shrimp, and Jerk Chicken.
And maybe a glass of Lawson’s Sip 'o Sunshine IPA.
(It’s an off day!)

3 Likes

yeah I don’t think an out of hand dismissal of the risks of high dietary cholesterol is a very safe method for most people. There are plenty of folks out there who’s responses fall into the category of “hyper” which could still make that a bad idea for them. Depending on who you listen to, (and as Han Solo said, thats the real trick isn’t it?) it could be 25% of the population. Of course, LDL ratios seem to go up in proportion in those people, so maybe it’s still not an issue.

For the record, cholesterol calories and fat (depending on preparation methods of course) 3.5 oz of leanish red meat is about 95 mg of the greasy C word, 9g fat, and 200 calories, as opposed to 242mg in the same amount of chicken hearts, with 8g fat, and 200 ish calories. At least according to the FDA.

That being said, eat what you like, thats why I said “perhaps not an issue for you”. I grew up eating chicken livers, and on occasion , still like to indulge myself. One of the many reasons I’ll never be an elite cyclist. :grinning::wink:

1 Like

High is a relative term and if a doctor has made recommendations for a person then obviously that is between them and their doctor.

Not going to get into a long discussion here on it as it opens a huge can of worms but cholesterol is not the issue that Keys and others first thought. His research was based off of rabbits which have no way of dealing with cholesterol since they do not ingest any naturally and was some of the poorest research done. Just like eating fat won’t make you fat, all other things being equal.

Cholesterol is a much needed element in the bodys nutrition and is responsible for more than 80 different hormones and responses. His research was applied (and extrapolated from a poorly done project that wouldn’t normally get published ) in the same way that salt intake and high blood pressure was done. A very small percent of the population is affected and therefore the blanket was thrown over everyone.

I’m not at all saying that people shouldn’t be careful or discuss this with their medical team but in MOST cases foods high in cholesterol (like eggs and how they were shunned) do not increase problematic cholesterol in the body.

As Dr Peter Attia who is well published and researched in this area says “ The pool of cholesterol in our body is essential for life. No cholesterol = no life”

If you do want to go down the rabbit hole though

As for the cholesterol in chicken hearts, the information I have shows the following for one heart

.47g of fat
3mg of cholesterol

But that could just be because they are Canadian chickens😜

I highly doubt indulging in chicken liver every now and then is preventing you from becoming an elite cyclist :wink:

3 Likes

perhaps if I had access to Canadian Chicken Livers, I could be pushing my way to bigger things. Im going to PM you about a potential arrangement

:grin:

1 Like

I’m up for it. It can be the new trade agreement that finally brings down the steel tariffs Trump enlisted😜

1 Like

That’s my go-to breakfast, oat pancakes with quark, mango, blueberries and maple syrup. It’s so good I could eat it every day.

4 Likes

That looks gooood

Lentil and spinach daal with basmati rice. It’s cold, windy and raining outside so we needed a winter warmer.

5 Likes

Uploading: 20181121_121507.jpg

I prepare my weekday lunches on Sunday. Sweet potato, beets, cauliflower, farro, broccoli slaw, beans, nuts and seeds, served over a bed of spinach with a Dijon vinaigrette. My wife thinks I’m crazy that I’ve been eating the same lunch for over a year.

8 Likes