What are the steps to take when making large changes to plan builder schedule mid term (18 weeks in)?

I used to plan builder on a medium volume plan to set up my training on the 28th Jan looking to peak somewhere around the end of June.

With the current situation my plans have changed, I am no longer heading to France in June and instead hope to go in September instead.

I want to amend my ‘A’ event to later in the year and adjust my schedule accordingly. I would also like to switch to a high volume plan.

Can I overwrite my future schedule with a new schedule, whilst maintaining the workouts already undertaken?

I tried to amend it using plan builder and setting the start date to 28th Jan but I kept running into minor annoyances such as seeing a whole bunch of ‘skipped’ workouts on my calendar and feeling like I’m jumping into a new high volume schedule 18 weeks in without completing the skipped workouts. Whilst I think I can handle a high volume plan from the start I’m not sure jumping in and skipping 18 weeks is the right thing to do.

How should I proceed?

Go and find the original annotation at the very start of your Plan Builder installed Training Plan.
Open it and use the delete option. It will leave all completed workouts and delete future workouts.

Note: If you modified or shifted individual future workouts, those are often left behind. So scroll through the entire period that was your future training plan and clean up (delete) any extra stuff that remains.

Make any necessary changes to events on the Calendar. Then redo your Plan Builder.

Thanks Chad. When following this approach should I set the start date from now or back date to January?

That’s an option, and maybe worth a test up to the preview stage. But I think you can manipulate the PB to get good results even if you start at the current date. Changing the experience level can lead to more focus on Base, Build or Specialty, so you should be able to get a plan that makes sense considering what you have already completed vs what time you have to fill until the new event date.

1 Like

Great, thanks for your help :fist_right::fist_left:

If you also adjust the volume you’ve been doing recently in the plan builder it can change where your current plan starts. I did something similar for different reasons (had missed a big block of 2/3 weeks due to work) and deleted the original plan and then started it from the week that was about to commence.

I thought the start date was locked to what you specified the start date to be?

I tried two options (my event moved from June to August, giving me effectively an extra 7/8 weeks), starting it at either the original plan start date and the date where I was (this week as it happens). Same options elsewhere, the only difference was that using the original start date gave me a shortened 3 week build phase from my current position (I’d already done 4 weeks of specialty) and then a full speciality, whereas starting from the beginning of this week gave me a fuller 7 week build and then a shorter 5 week speciality. I went with the latter in the end, but its just a case of experimenting.

The option to adjust my plan when I moved my event didn’t quite work for me as I had added another event in since originally building my plan and that was beyond the end of the original plan.

It’s worth noting, and I’m not sure if this is on purpose (@Bryce you may be able to comment) but if an event is currently part of one plan builder plan, if you run another plan builder plan (to try to preview it), when you get to your events your existing events don’t come up. I was trying to see what options I had before I deleted my existing plan, but in the end just deleted the plan and then hit through it again and messed around with options.

Events can only be associated with one plan at a time, so in order to associate it with a new plan, the previous plan has to be deleted as you did. This is neccessary in order to keep things organized on the back end.

2 Likes

Makes sense, cheers for confirming Bryce.